Godlike Genius

This is just going to be a short commentary on the recent free CD that came with NME magazine. I can't remember the exact issue but 'White Lies' are on the cover and the free CD is a collection of 'The Cure's' songs covered by bands such as Lostprophets, Art Brut and Metronomy.

The first 'track' - if you can call it that - is an introduction by Robert Smith himself. As I am so in awe of this man I'm not going to launch into some critical analysis of everything he said because 1) We would be here for days and 2) He always manages to leave me speechless. But nonetheless it is Godlike Genius material.

I have to say, being a die hard 'The Cure' fan, I listened to this record with a sceptical and overly critical ear but I was unbelievably impressed by most of the tracks I heard. Most of the bands didn't just mindlessly learn each riff and rhythm and replicate it - which would have been disastrous as that would be like asking to supersize a McDonald's salad: A pointless and empty gesture - but picked apart all the intricately combined melodies and made them their own. I say most because there was one major disappointment, but I'll get to that later.

My favorite 'The Cure' song of all time is 'Lullaby'. Robert's lyrics never cease to inspire on this track - or on the whole 'Disintegration' album in general - so upon hearing that 'Editors' would be covering this pivotal song of my record collection I was, to tell the truth, mildly cynical about the subject. But it has turned out to be one of my favorite tracks on the CD. With a shorter, more succinct and remastered introduction it immediately had my attention, as soon as the vocals kicked in I discovered a singer with a voice that was well on the way to becoming just as haunting as Robert Smith himself. That blew me away. I have to take back everything I have said about 'Editors' in the past - a band that has the balls to cover that song and do it well deserves to be taken way more seriously.

Another big favourite, in mine and I'm sure every 'The Cure' fan's collection is 'The Lovecats'. Covered by 'The Futureheads' it's another track that has been sliced open and then restitched in a way that is simple and yet nobody seems to have thought of it before. The introduction has, again, been shortened and changed entirely - becoming more fast paced and containing the signature sing-a-long 'ba ba's from the chorus. Thus creating another band that has managed to wangle their way into my 'you've got to give them their due' list.

The last good song I'm going to comment on is 'Fascination Street' covered by 'Metronomy'. This is another track from 'Disintegration', meaning it is hugely important to me - and 'Metronomy' fucked around with arrangements so much that it's pretty much incomparable with the original recording. To be able to take this song and transform it into a 21st century, electro, indie masterpiece is a feat I can't even begin to comprehend. But hats off to the band for making it so goddamn special and for even attempting it in the first place.

Now, I hate to end on a bad note but I have to mention the one big disappointment on the CD. And it really pains me to say this but: Lostprophets were entrusted with one of the greatest songs ever written and they McSupersized it. This was the one track I was genuinely excited about because one of my favourite bands would be covering one of my all-time favorite bands but I'm ashamed to say that it was a let down. The band didn't bother to put their own spin on the track but instead pumped out the same riffs and rhythms with almost too much precision, and I don't know what exactly happened to Ian's voice in their absence but in my opinion it has become extremely adolescent. Now, they didn't blow it completely - it is an alright version but there is no way that it could've met the standard that the rest of the artists on the CD had set.

So, overall it was an unexpectedly excellent record.

Some other goings on in the world:
The Ripps are back from their break, and whilst it was a bit of a shocker to see Rach go, the new line up has shifted Raul up to guitar. Meaning The Ripps are now a four-piece and have been given the unbelievably amazing oppurtunity to support The Specials in Brum and at their homecoming gig. They are going to be the best shows of my life and I am counting down the days XD.
March 4th, 2009 at 10:17pm