Words of Wisdom From No One That Matters - The Myth of Childhood

The Myth of Childhood

I've slowly began to notice that having a childhood doesn't seem to be to important to kids now-a-days. Everyone just appears to be in such a hurry to grow up and be 'adults'. They begin to take on too many things and stress over stuff that they shouldn't at whatever age they are.

I've noticed, alot on testriffic.com, that alot of the most popular literature on there consist of sex. And usually that wouldn't be a concern cause when you hit a certain age in life, sex is just a natural interest. But its the sub-genre of sex that concerns me. Such as young pregnancy and rape.

But aside from that alone, I'm even more concerned that they are so popular. Not because there's anything wrong with them, cause most are well written, but because more than likely half of the popularity is a result of relation. To think that so many, so young can relate to such things as young pregnancy and rape completely baffels me. And I feel things like this, things we can't control, take away our childhood. We are left no longer sensitive and innocence is forgotten.

I myself had to grow up faster than I would have liked when my mother died when I was 12. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it must be like for those who've had to take on so much too young because of a pregnancy or a rape... or any abuse for that matter.

I wish for a time when kids can be kids and not have a worry in the world, but unfortunately... i'm not that naive and I know I never will be for the rest of my life.

My only advice for you is to stay as much of a kid as you can for as long as you can make it last. Its a tough, often horrible world out here... don't jump in before your ready... or you'll never survive it.
March 25th, 2009 at 05:58am