Words of Wisdom From No One That Matters - Emos, Cutters and Trends... Oh My!

I have always been a little confused on the subject of 'emos' and 'cutters'. The one thing I know about it is that they are not the same thing.

The last time I checked 'emo' was a shortened term of music, not a description of people. Emo, originally, was given for a sub-genre of punk music called, 'emotional hardcore'. But... people have seemed to have taken that meaningless word and used it as a stereotype for the people who listened to that type of punk music. Given the type of music it was, it began being characterized as being followed by people who were depressed and so forth. There fore the people following the music, where soon referred to as emos.

However, I think, more so know a days, people have taken this stereotype and completely blew it up into something so ridiculous, that's its almost demeaning to the peoples its labeled to. Now a days, being 'emo' is someone who wears all black, possibly tight fitting clothes, who sport asymmetrical hair cuts that cover at least half the face, who either always wear long sleeve to cover scared arms or pile on tons of bracelets, people who never talk to anyone and just sit alone and never look up when they walk.

And even more disturbing then the fact that this stereotype was even created is the fact that its extremely popular now a days to be 'emo'. I mean what the fuck is that about anyway? Its about people taking things too lightly and saying, Oh its just a trend it will pass" when the truth of the matter is, yes it is a trend, for most, but there are some people who have placed themselves in this stereotype that really need the help and aren't getting it just because its such a 'trendy phase'.

As for cutters, I've been a cutter on and off since I was 13, and i'm not 23. Cutting, from my own personal experience and understanding. Is not about wanting to die, or getting pleasure out of it. ITs about substituting what pain you can't explain with a pain that you can. Whenever I cut it was because there was something so wrong deep inside that I just couldn't fix, handle, or explain, that I had to make up for it... I had to cut myself to release the pain, cause the broken skin, and the running blood had an explaination. The pain had a reason that I could wrap my head around. It, for a short period of time, made me feel better. But because it was not a proper solution to the problem, it would happen more often and more frequent. Which is why it gets to be so addicting, cause after a while, it just doesn't work anymore, but its the only thing you think you have to go on.

I don't think either one of these scenerios are right. There is nothing trendy about depression and self-harm. And I think the world takes it too lightly and that makes me fear for the younger generations.

I guess all I have left to say is that, If you're in one of these situations and you know that you need help, then talk to someone. Believe me, I know how hard that is, and that you've probably tried so many times and never could get it out. But I promise you, when you get it off your chest and are able to get your emotions out in a healthy, non-life threatening manner, you will feel so much better.
March 27th, 2009 at 06:52am