Who am I?

Hi, my name's Frida.
I got diagnosed with ADHD and Atypical autism when I was about five, six years old - so I've been aware of my neurobehavioral disorders for a while now (over 10 years).

I don't really know what brought me into writing this...
I'm kind of trying to figure myself out, I guess.


So let me tell you a little...
... about my diagnosis
ADHD; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
"When many people think of ADHD, they picture an out-of-control kid in constant motion, bouncing off the walls and disrupting everyone around. But this is not the only possible picture. Some children with ADD/ADHD are hyperactive, while others sit quietly (with their attention miles away). Some put too much focus on a task and have trouble shifting it to something else. Others are only mildly inattentive but overly impulsive."
Which one of these children may have ADD / ADHD?
A) The hyperactive boy who talks nonstop and can’t sit still.
B) The quiet dreamer who sits at her desk and stares off into space.
C) Both A and B.
Correct answer; C.


I'm "the quiet dreamer who sits at her desk and stares off into space."

Atypical autism / PDD-NOS; Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified
"For children who meet some, but not all, of the criteria for autism or Asperger’s syndrome, is given a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. The diagnosis is reserved for kids who have many autistic-like symptoms, but don’t quite fit into the “box” for the other autism spectrum disorders.
For example, their symptoms might have started after the age of three, or they may demonstrate repetitive behaviors and abnormal speech, but have better social skills than other autistic kids."


I'm posting this journal because I want people to be aware of my diagnosis and that I'm not ashamed of them. I'm learning how to live with them, accept them and see them as a part of me. I'm realizing now that I might not be a freak - just a normal teenage girl trying to find her place in this mad world.

A frightened teenager with low self-esteem that's afraid of not being liked, with a constant fear of screwing things up... who avoid peoples' glances trying to make herself invisible... A girl who's scared to death of letting people in, who just let herself slowly slip away from her friends and family because she doesn't know how to trust anyone... A girl who ends up alone in the glass bubble because she keeps shutting everyone out.
Just a frightened girl that doesn't want to be alone, but tends to end up on her own, anyway.

... and that's who I am today...


Click here if you'd like to know more about ADHD or Autism.
March 31st, 2009 at 11:53pm