2009 Day of Silence - 4.17.09

Last year’s Day of Silence on April 25 was held in memory of Lawrence King, a 15-year-old eighth-grade student in Oxnard, California, was shot and killed by a 14-year-old classmate because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. Hundreds of thousands of students at more than 8,000 schools participated. Their efforts were supported by hundreds of community-based "Breaking the Silence" events at the end of the day. Together, concerned students created a powerful call to action in order to prevent future tragedies.

There are simple steps that all schools can take to make schools safer for all students, to end the endemic name-calling and harassment that LGBT students and their allies face every day. We need to act now so that Lawrence King and the countless others who endure anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment will not be forgotten, and so that we can create an enduring legacy of safer schools for all in their names.

Day of silence is a day for not speaking. Its a national youth movement bringing attention to the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people and their allies in schools. Your silence echoes that silence, which is caused by name-calling, bullying and harassment.

Sign Up today to participate in this years Day Of Silence!

4.17.09 !

for more information and to sign up go to

http://dayofsilence.org/index.cfm
April 5th, 2009 at 10:06pm