And so it begins...to answer some questions

"Write all the time. Rework what you write. Hack it to pieces, cut and change... writing is a self conducted apprenticeship"-- Martha Gellhorn

My most favourite object that I own would have to be my laptop. It has all of my most important things on it, including all the stories I've ever written. :)
I honestly don't know when I really started taking writing seriously, but one time when I noticed that I enjoyed it, would have been in primary school, when my year six teacher would take a clipping from the local newspaper, and we had to rewrite the article in our own words. My titles were always the wackiest.
And then I reached high school, where you had to write short stories as a part of a half yearly exam, and then the yearly. Around this time, I think I started writing at home seriously, instead of just mucking around.
If I look back at those earlier stories, I have to chuckle at their plot lines, the obvious mistakes, and how it really doesn't flow. But now, I'd like to think I've improved. It's gotten to the point now when I post two of my stories on myspace in blogs, I have an account on fanfiction.net but I haven't updated that in ages {of which, I feel bad}, and I'm beginning to think I could easily do this for a living: wonder around the city until something jumps out at me, and then hey presto- I start writing a brand-spanking-new story.

My friends often read what I write, and they ask me where does my inspiration come from. To avoid sounding completely like Stephenie Meyer, I'd like to point out that my story is similar for how I get my story ideas, but it doesn't always happen this way.
You see, usually, my inspiration comes from a daydream I have, whether that be bored as hell in class, sitting on the train, or when I'm just about to doze off to sleep. And usually, I'll imagine a scene, and what would happen to someone if they were in that scene... then what happens afterwards? Who is this person? Why are they there? How would they react? What would they do after this happened, and where would their story go from there?

Then, badabing-badaboom, I've got my idea and I'm all set to go! From here, it usually means quickly jotting down the dot points of the event, and then I'll start to think of a character and story line. Then, it's simply turning on the laptop, opening a new document, and start typing feverishly until I hit a dead end- which thankfully, hardly ever happens. My study usually falls victim to scrap pieces of paper with scribbly writing, note books full of ideas, and then the laptop becomes crowded with documents of jibberish.

I believe everyone should write. Whether that be their own stories, articles or even just in a diary. People sometimes think that it's a waste of time... but I like to think of it this way:
- This is one of things in life that you are completely in control of
example: if you want it to rain, it'll rain.
if you want someone to be sick, then they'll become sick
if you want a building to explode, a flood, a fire, ANYTHING, then it will happen because you say it will
if you want vampires, werewolves, witches, elves, fairies, pixies... anything, the list is really endless {and if it's not created, then make it up :)} then all you have to do is write it and there it is- it exists and does whatever you want.

Some others think that writing is lame... that's their opinion. But I know the fun I can extract from it, and the fun my friends and readers have when they read it. They fall in love with someone who is not actually real- but you make them sound real. They have real emotions, experience real things {unless you say otherwise, in which case, you make this seem real}, they have real belongings etc. You create a person. You create the world.
The possibilities are endless.

Some tips I've given to others:
= Never think you can't write- if you can put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard, then you can write.
= Never think what you write is bad- someone's jibberish is another person's best seller.
= Get other people to read what you write and give you feedback- being burnt can be hard {trust me, I know} but if they give you 'constructive criticism', then you'll find it can really help
= Read what you write aloud- every time, I guarentee, if it doesn't make sense, then read it aloud to yourself, and you'll often pick up the mistakes yourself.
= Take inspiration from anything and everything- when you get stuck for an idea, go for a walk- listen to how people talk, what are they talking about? Have a look on the internet for current news, and then, for example, if there's a volcanic eruption on an island, think about what it would be like to have been having a beautiful holiday, and then suddenly the ground shakes violently underneath you. Your knees are knocking together, and eventually, you tumble onto your side, swallowing some sand, but pure fear has gripped your heart. You can hear people screaming and shouting around you...
= Don't get hung up on grammar and spelling- like I said with the "read aloud one", spelling usually jumps out at you, as well as grammar, and if it doesn't, don't worry! I hate spelling and grammar, so it never crosses my mind as a worry. People can always tell what you're saying, and if it's going to get published, then they have these wonderful people called editors who are paid to go over the work and polish it up!

Alrighties, that's all I can think of at the moment to write in here, but I'll most likely be back soon. Check out my 'snippet' for Territory, because I'm not sure whether I'll post it up here yet, and comment that and this entry if you'd like
:)
April 11th, 2009 at 02:26am