Law Debate

Thursday is my law debate and I’m terrified. Why am I writing this today as oppose to tomorrow? Well, I expect to be swamped preparing for our debate. Our topic is genetic engineering (I suggested it) and we are going against the freshman. Every year at my school, the freshman law class and the sophomore law class have a debate. Sophomores choose the topic and the position. Last year’s debate was about gun control; we lost by one point. This year, we are terrified and we need to win or else we will be the laughing stock of the whole school. If we lose, I would feel like crap for choosing this topic.

The freshmen bashed us in Facebook. I don’t have a Facebook, but my friend told me that on their walls, they were bashing us. This debate is supposed to be a professional thing and now they have gone over the line. I’m all for healthy competition, but to take it to Facebook and bash us? No, that’s not right. Before we wanted to beat them just for the sake of beating them, now it is personal.

I have to wear a skirt and heels on Thursday and I go first due to the order. My class voted on a change the last minute. It doesn’t feel like it flows in my opinion. What do you guys think? Our argument is that the government should be able to prohibit genetic engineering and we have three point: the legal point which states that the interest of the state outweighs the interest of the individual because humanity is at risk, my point on how this will cause more separation and discrimination and may create a “master race” and if people are living longer, overpopulation can occur. I think that this should be the order. Instead the order that my classmates voted on is: master race, legal, and overpopulation. That doesn’t make sense to me. If we lose because of that…I know who to blame :)

I’m so nervous, my public speaking is rusty. I need to practice and practice. Tomorrow we are having a run through and Thursday is the debate. My class is getting on my nerves because there are some people who are not even participating in the actual debate that think they are in charge and don’t really know what they are talking about.

Wish me luck!

UPDATE
May 13th, 2009 at 01:08am