Shocked...Poem...Contest....Publish!?

So, I got a letter in the mail today. Didn't know about it even though I was the one that got the mail. Anyways, my mother always goes through the mail in her room, so she comes out and asks me, ‘should I be worried?’ I was confused because I couldn’t figure out what she was talking about, when I saw the letter in her hand.
The first though that hit my mind, was, ‘oh shit she got a letter form school!’, but then she smiled and showed it to me.
It was a letter from a contest I forgot I ever entered. A poetry contest none the less.
So I looked at it, and read that it said I was selected for high meret and was chosen to be published.
I'm still here looking at the paper completely shocked, that they had chosen my poem, out of all the amazing poems that were sent in! this is like, one of the happiest things ever to happen right now.
I keep looking at the copy my mom made out of the corner of my eyes, still trying to figure out, if this is all a dream.
My poem…published. And it isn’t even a school thing; this is an actual contest I entered.
If I win overall I I will win a 3000$ scholarship.
One problem. I don’t remember which poem I sent in. so right now, I am kinda upset, and really happy. My gut is churning and this is the greatest thing to happen in a really long time. So..just had to come out and say that I’m going to be published in a real book.
I . Am. Shocked.
May 14th, 2009 at 12:35am