punk isn't really real anymore.

It seems these days as though people don't really understand what real punk is. It is because real punk rock died many years ago. With the death of Joey Ramone, and Sid Vicious. The ideals of the original punk movements were to throw out the norm and say fuck the man. The man could be your boss or the president, or your parents. Another Ideal of the original punk movement from the 70's and early 80's was to live in a minimalist manor and Anarchy. Now many young people talk about anarchy but do not really know what it is all about or truly support it. You will not find the answers to what anarchy is on the back of a green day album. Anarchy is the belief system that there should be no government or rules and that it would basically be the law of the jungle where the weak and poor would not survive. So before you go writing anarchy all over your school binders, do you really think that it is a good idea to not have a government? Although mostly corrupt they are more than slightly necessary. Many of the punks from that era have dropped their anarchist beliefs due to the realization of the unrealistic nature of it. My mother was one of those punks, she hung out with the Dayglo Abortions and I get the pleasure to hang out with them. My mother has taught me what the old school punk rock belief system and I thought I should share it. Here are a few bands that you need to look up. They are bands from the good days.
Suicidal tendencies
The Dead Kennedys
Adam and the ants
The Addicts
The Exploited
GG Alin
BigWig
Black Flag
Bikini Kill
The Subhumans
The bouncing souls
The Buzzcocks
The Casualties
Choking Victim
The Circle Jerks
Dropkick Murphies
The Distillers
Anti-Flag(old stuff)
Flogging Molly
Fugazi
Fear Factory
Gwar
H2O
The Horrorpops
Iggy Pop
Jawbreaker
Killdozer
Lag Wagon
The Voodoo Glow Skulls
The Libertines
Lower Class Brats
Millions of Dead Cops
NoFx
Midtown
MSI
Minor threat
The Misfits
Napalm Death
The Necromantix
Tiger Army
The New York Dolls
Old AFI
Operation Ivy
Pennywise
The Unseen
Oi Polloi
The Blats
Propgandhi
The Raincoats
The Butthole Surfers
Social Distortion
The Ramones
Stretch Armstrong
Sublime
Sex Pistols
Swinging Utters
The teen idoles
Tim Armstrong
Lars Frederiksen
Tsunami Bomb
Unwritten Law
The Vandals
Authority Zero
D.O.A
the Degenerates

These and more are many of the bands that paved the way for the pop punk bands many of you listen to today, so give these guys a listen and you will never turn back.
May 16th, 2009 at 06:56am