Is idolizing people unhealthy?

So this is probably going to end up sounding really b*tchy and bitter, but I need to get this off my chest. Do you think that idolizing people is unhealthy? To place so much hope and faith in this one person, when in reality, that's all they are: a person. A human being with just as much room for error as anyone else.

Last night, on Twitter, Ryan Ross posted a link to this one song on Grooveshark that he thought was really good. Then, this morning, I was going through the "Most Popular" song list on Grooveshark, and lo and behold: what song appears close to the top? The very song that he posted a link to the previous night.

Now, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that one incident, but it's just an example of the kind of power famous musicians and actors have over the people who idolize them. And the question I'm asking is, is that healthy?

I know for me, personally, I have to be careful when I look up to someone too much because I start putting myself down in comparison to the other person, and I constantly have to keep myself in check. Maybe that's why I think that idolizing people is so unhealthy, I don't know. I'm just curious as to what other people think.

In response to some of the comments, yeah, I think that there is a healthy balance to be achieved, by acknowledging that you appreciate what the person does, then using that in a positive light.
May 17th, 2009 at 08:33pm