1812

After seven years of warfare, the American’s finally gained their independence from Great Britain. After this victory the Americans had their independence, but this did not gain them the respect of the European nations. Many of the European nations would not take the United States seriously, however, they felt they could take the United States for granted, and treat them hastily. This treatment toward the United States causes the beginning of The War of 1812.
During the Napoleonic War (1803- 1815), Great Britain received supplies, such as the oak trees that were used to maintain Britain’s navy, and the beef to feed the army of the Duke of Wellington, from the United States (www.galafilm.com, pg.1). Between the time of 1803 and 1812 Great Britain would invade American ships looking for former citizens of the country in order to enlist them in the British navy or to force them to work on British ships. In the Essex case on July 23rd, 1805 the British concluded that American traders traveling between enemy and neutral ports will be open to seizure. In January of 1806, on the 25th, James Madison delivered the first report of “British interference and impressments of sailors” (www.americanhistory.about.com, timeline). This causes an arousal of anti-British feelings in the United States.
Later in 1806 Napoleon issued the Berlin Decree. The Berlin Decree stated that trade between France and Great Britain was forbidden. Within the next year, Great Britain would respond by issuing the Orders in Council. This would blockade the parts of Europe that France controlled, and seize any violating ships. During the year of 1806 approximately 1,000 U.S. ships were apprehended by the British (www.americanhistory.about.com, timeline). Negotiations were extended to Great Britain regarding the impressments of former British men that had become United States’ citizens. The Monroe-Pinkney treaty was not submitted to Congress however, because the negotiations were unsuccessful (www.state.gov pg 1). In December of 1807, Thomas Jefferson attempts a “peaceful coercion” with an embargo of British and French trade, but it had no success and resulted in economic turmoil for New England merchants (www.americanhistory.com timeline, www.state.gov pg 1).
The final cause of the War of 1812 was that the United States was looking to expand its territory, and not to the west. The United States wanted to expand into Canada. At one point in time the Americans had captured Quebec, but the expedition led by Generals Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery were lost in the freezing cold. At this point in time Canada was controlled by England (www.galafilm.com pg 1).
Finally, after several years of chaos, the United States declared war on Great Britain on June 18, 1812. The war is said to have begun in a stalemate meaning that no moves could be made, especially not immediately (www.dictionary.com). The United States’ plan to capture Canada was in three stages. The first stage was to capture Montreal. The second stage required that there would be an attack across the Niagara River, and the third stage was to capture Lake Erie (www.historycentral.com pg 3).
In attempt to fulfill the first step of the plan, General William Hull and his men were sent to Canada. At some point, the General sent off sick men to go ahead, and with them went his correspondence. The British captured these men, and therefore learned of his whereabouts and more importantly his goals. Upon entering Canada Hull attempted to capture Fort Malden, but he failed. Feeling defeated and short on supplies 150 of his men were sent to receive supplies. Before these men could return however, the Indian forces led by Tecumseh, an Indian working with Britain beat them back. A larger group of 600 were sent, and again were forced back. Hull ordered Fort Dearborn be evacuated, though most of his command, women, and 12 children were murdered by the Indians (www.historycentral.com pg 3).
The first major naval encounter of the war took place on August 19th, 1812. The USS Constitution defeated the British Guerriere in about an hour. The British were led by Captain Dacres. He was positive he was going to defeat the American fleet. Before the Battle, he exclaimed “There is a Yankee Frigate: in forty five minutes she is surely ours, take her in 15, and I promise you four months pay” (www.sheilaomalley.com pg 1). As the ships were approaching, the British fleet shot long range cannons. The ball that made contact left no damage. At 25 feet apart, American captain Isaac Hull ordered open fire causing great damage the Guerriere. The masts of the British ship all came down shortly signifying an American victory. With this victory came the support of the New England states and to distract the people from the losses on the Canadian front (www.historycentral.com pg 4).
Throughout the next two years the war continued on remaining in a stalemate. The United States were victors of battles as well as the losers of battles both on land and in the ocean. On October 13th, 1812 the Battle of Queenston took place near Niagara Falls. This battled ended in a loss after a series of unfortunate events for the Americans, such as their general being wounded. The Americans surrendered. Three hundred were killed or wounded and 938 were taken prisoner (www.history central.com pg. 5).
On October 25th, 1812 the United States versus the SSS Macedonia occurred off of the coast of Africa. The United States attempted one long range shot, and missed. Their second attempt was much more successful. It took down the top mast. With the American fleet now having the upper hand the Macedonian was done for by noon. The Macedonian fleet suffered 104 casualties, and the Americans had suffered 12. After two weeks of repair was done on the British ship it was taken into Maine with the United States (www.historycentral.com pg 6).
On January 21st, 1813 the Americans were led by General Winchester into the Battle of Raisin River. They were forced to surrender by Colonel Henry Proctor. 100 Americans were dead and 500 were captured.
The next four major battles of the war resulted in American victories. Hornet versus Peacock took place on February 24th, 1813 and the British vessel was destroyed. Next, on April 27th, 1813 American forces captured the British base at York, Canada. Both the army and the navy participated and cooperated to achieve this victory. Then in May of 1813, Fort Meig withstood an attack by the British and the Indians. Finally, on May 27th, American forces following Colonel Winfield Scott captured Fort George.
However, all good things must end, and the United States suffered a naval loss on June 1st. The HMS Shannon captured the USS Chesapeake. The commander of the ship was Captain James Lawrence. He was killed in the battle, but went down with his famous words “Don’t give up the ship!”
The Americans came back with two more consecutive wins. The President defeated three British vessels, Daphne, the Eliza Swan, and the Alert in July. The next battle was a victorious defense of Fort Stephenson on August 2nd. Major George Crohan refused to surrender to the British forces. The British cannons fired on the fort throughout the night, but this had no effect on the walls. The next day, Americans waited for the ground assault lines to reach a distance of 100 feet and then open fired. This tactic had a tremendous effect. The attack was given up on (www.historycentral.com pg. 10).
On August 30th, 1813 the Americans underwent the Fort Mims massacre. The Creeks massacred over 500 men, women, and children. The Fort was under the command of Major Beasley and by late August 17 buildings were surrounded. This was partially because of Beasley’s lack of taking the Creek’s attack seriously.
On September 10th, another naval victory for the Americans took place when the USS Enterprise spotted the HMS Brig Boxer. The Americans captured the British fleet and took them into Portland, Maine. (www.historycentral.com pg. 12)
The Battle of Lake Erie took place on September 10th, 1813. Commodore Levi Perry’s mission was to achieve naval superiority on the lake. There were multiple ships fighting in the battle. Each ship had an opposing ship they were responsible for taking out of the war. However, the Niagara for some unknown reason stayed back while the Lawrence faced destruction. Commodore Perry was on the Lawrence, however him and a few of his men safely maneuvered to the Niagara and destroyed the rest of the British fleet. It was an absolute victory for the Americans.

Bibliography
1. Carpenter, Jessica. "The War of 1812: Introduction." Galafilm. 2000. 18 May 2009 <http://www.galafilm.com/1812/e/intro/index.html>.
2. Schlesinger, Arthur M. Jr. "The Almanac of American History." Barnes & Nobles Books. Greenwich, CT: 1993.
3. State Government. "Napoleonic Wars and the United States, 1803-1815." U.S. Department of State. 2004. 17 May 2009 <http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/jd/91865.htm>.
4. Vickers, Anita. "War of 1812." American History and World History From Historycenetral.com- History's Home on the Web. Dec. 2000. 17 May 2009 <http://www.historycentral.com/1812/>.
May 21st, 2009 at 03:15pm