Rant number something/IDK : DREADLOCKS AREN'T A HAIRSTYLE !!!

Yes , to the posers it's just a hairstyle ; a passing fad that they will eventually shave off in a year or two . Maybe just a passing thought to the bystanders :

"OOO, GIRL, YOUR HAIR IS SO FRESH ; IMMA GET DREADS TOO !!1!!1!! "

I hear this very often . it's annoying .

To me , and many other rastas out there , it's a way of life ; a type of hair like blond or brunette . You can't just have dreads one day and "style" it back to normal like fucking ponytails , braids , or a bun; you live with it .

So, I've had my dreads for 5 years ; about to be 6 this August . So that's about from the start of my 6th grade year I first got them , and let me tell you , they were SHORT . I mean so short , when I wore them in ponytails, my mom called them tatortots .

But my hair grew REALLY quickly in the 7th grade thanks to my great grandfather and his 1oo% Indian genes ( yay werewolf side burns ! ) . Almost touched my shoulders . Got the ends dyed red 8th grade , light blue earlier this sophomore year and now dye them back black cause they were making my ends fall off .

ANYWAYS , what I'm trying to say is that you LIVE with dreads like your normal hair . I say live because I just feel that they are a connection with me ; all natural and shit .

So next time you see someone with dreads , don't just think of them as a youngins hairstyle for 2oo9 , but just a hair type in general .
May 24th, 2009 at 10:14pm