To those who aren't fans of Star of David.

Alright, I know that many people seem to have a distaste for my story Star of David. So here's my statement, alright? Note that this is basically my copy/pasted response to the journal that was opposed to my writing.

Let me say that I understand where all of your opinions are coming from and I don't doubt that they have substance. I know the cruelties of racism and bigotry, and that's just in modern-day schools. I know that things were obscene, horrid, and disturbing back during the time of the holocaust. I know that the Nazis were heartless and cold. I have never once stated that the camps themselves were 'romantic'. I have never said that the holocaust was not cruel. I don't like the fact that it seems like some of you are belittling me just for writing something I want to write. Please, don't give me the whole 'so-what-if-there's-creative-freedom-it-ain't-necessary' spiel. Please. All I'm saying at the moment is that this is not the first holocaust story, fiction or not, in existance. It's not the first Tokio Hotel incest story, and that's a damn fact. It isn't even the first TH incest holocaust fic, in fact -- and I know the author that can vouch for this.

But let me ask you this. It's fiction. I believe my normal oneshot beta told me of a book where a guard fell in love with a female prisoner. Is it so unlikely? There have been other cases of Stockholm Syndrome in history as well, same for Lima Syndrome. Even small amounts of affection in holocaust tales exist -- Schindler's List, The Pianist. They needn't be romantic, but it's affection. Affection towards the people they hate.

I probably sound rambly now, but I'm sitting in a dark basement with a headache and a bellyache, so I'll ask you to pardon that. Point is, I'm very sorry if I've insulted and/or offended anyone in writing this. But would it make a difference to you if it wasn't written as fanfiction? If the names were rearranged and all so they were completely new people? I don't think it would. You would all still hold the same opinion. It being bandom isn't the issue here.

The romanticism isn't an issue. I really don't understand everyone's upset over this. Who's to say that it couldn't happen? The journal-poster herself said that you don't doubt it could have happened. So why not make it happen? Yes, it's very controversial, I'm aware. But so what? Other stories on the site are controversial and taboo as well. I've never said that I'm going to make the story soft and sweet. I say in my disclaimer that it's not going to be pleasant. I'm not going to sugar-coat anything in the story. It's all going to be as violent and horrendous as needed. I'm killing the characters. I'm hurting them. I'm not acting as though the holocaust wasn't as brutal as it truly was. But what's so wrong about love? Why can't there be love?

Don't blame the schools. Really. They may not have taught us as much as they should have, but I'm certainly not getting my information from the schools. I've been doing research for a month already, in varying forms of reading material and videos (documentary and otherwise) and photographs and just about everything else. My entire family is and has raised me Jewish, there is no aspect of that that would be off, I don't think.

Yes, it's going to be 'cheapened'. Of course it would. The only person who would ever be able to write it properly would be someone involved in such a scenario. But I'm trying. Because it's what I want to do. I felt the urge to write this. I know you don't like it, most of you don't, but I still want to. My characters are not one-dimensional, just a Nazi who hates all his prisoners and a Jew who has had his life destroyed. They have depth, they have lives that started before my story began.

This story is what I'm devoting all my time to, right now. If you have an issue with it, then I apologize again. But I'm not going to stop writing it. Maybe I'll change the names if it bothers so many, but that won't change anything at all and you all know this.

For the record, this story will have absolutely no sexual content. At all. I never saw it that way, and never will. I'm not a fan of the "So, if you want to write about Mikey and Gerard, Tom and Bill, Benji and Joel, sexing it up in the back of their tour bus, then, well go ahead. But, can we please keep it out of a concentration camp?" bit. They're not sexing it up anywhere at all in the story. Ever. The story isn't written to be full of sexual favors in the story. I'll ask you all to not mistake a bittersweet romance for a passionate, sexual encounter.

I know my thoughts in here aren't organized very well. I'm not feeling well atm. But you can all understand this post clearly enough, I presume. If anyone else has any issues, please, take them up with me.

I'll apologize again, because I really am sorry if it sours you all on my writing that much, but I will not change it.

Thank you.

Original journal here.
June 19th, 2009 at 10:51pm