Asians.

It has come to my attention that Asians are ignored all-too-often.

I was reading an article on racism, and I noticed that Asians were very neglected in the article. In fact, we weren't mentioned at all. Now, as a legal citizen of Canada who was born to the world as a Korean-Canadian, I find it very offensive when people neglect to realize that Asians are a smaller minority than people realize. Sure, there's usually a Chinese 'majority' in the nearest large city, but that doesn't mean we are everywhere. In fact, a Canadian Census in the year of 2006 showed that only 11.2% of the population of Canada was some kind of Asian. In the United States, barely 4.4% of the population are Asian, according to a 2007 survey. We are a minority, yet people fail to realize this. People will constantly look at a large Chinatown in cities and say, "Oh, those Asians. They're everywhere." But we're not.

If you take a look at a large city - Let's say Los Angeles - Asians seem to be everywhere. There are parts of Los Angeles that is exclusive to Asians, even. Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Tokyo. However, compare Los Angeles to the rest of the country. You may not realize it, but over 80% of America is still White. While Whites may complain that Asians, Hispanics and African-American people are taking over the country, we actually aren't. And the whites need to realize this and respect the minority for this.

Asians are a proud minority, with a rich history and culture. While whites may say that they respect it, sometimes they don't understand. For example, in Korea and China, due to a lack of pastures and money, people had to eat dogs, ducks, pigeons - anything to survive. People were poor and needed to eat, or they would starve - yet when I tell people this, they look at me oddly or wince visibly. They believe that Asians were uneducated dolts simply because they ate what are now considered domesticated house animals. However, you must remember that Asians had little to no land to farm on, and just about no money. We lacked the ability to start a farm and eat beef, chickens - all those that Europeans considered a staple in their diet. We were also the ones to invented noodles, something Marco Polo took to his native country and people innovated, paper, a formal written language, and so forth. We are still, to this day, the innovators of the world. Why, look at Japan. Their technology is still light years beyond the American Standard.

I'm not complaining or being racist against white people. I think many white people are wonderful and amazingly dedicated to their goals - but so are the minority. It's just a shame that a minority of the white class refuse to believe this.
June 20th, 2009 at 09:17pm