A Cup of Coffee and a Band-aid

I am sitting in a downtown corner coffee shop right now, making flash cards on famous/important court cases. It is so cute, with freshly made food and relaxing music. Think Starbuck's minus about five bucks. They are starting to close up soon, so one girl is wiping down tables and another guy, the coffee guy, is making small talk with his friend who just stopped in. All of a sudden, the cashier stops by my table and slaps down a stack of bagels. Well, this guy is huge and I'm kind of worried that they are irritating at me for just chilling in the middle of their coffee shop for four hours. But then he smiles and says, "Here you go, honey. Came in for lunch and walk our with a bag of bagels." And he walks away. Moments later, the bagel man come back and walks out the door with a basket of bagels labeled 'Last Night's Bagels'. He places the basket outside the front door and comes back in to make a sign that reads "Free". After placing the sign on the basket, he delivers another round of bagels to a van waiting outside to take them to deliver around the city. Apparently, this ritual is an everyday tradition. And so I begin to write.

It is beautiful how compassionate people can be. I wish events like this happened more often; that kindness would be such a common occurrence that I wouldn't be compelled to broadcast it to the world. Hey, everybody! This man is kind!

But the story isn't finished. As I begin to pack up to leave, and old man walks in carrying a worn bag and holding a stained kerchief to his mouth. The coffee man stops talking to his friend and welcomes the man into the store. At this, the old man hurries to explain that he cut himself shaving--you need to look clean in order to get a job.
"Well, as long as no one else cut you," replies the friend.
After talking for a while longer, the old man asks for a cup of coffee, which the coffee man agrees to give him, as long as he stops putting his bloody cloth down on the counter, since other customers might think that is unsanitary. The old man again explains that he had only cut himself shaving--defending himself against unfelt assumptions of sickness--but agrees nonetheless. The coffee man goes into the back room and returns with a cup of coffee and a band-aid.

Comments?
On Compassion or Assumption?

P.S.> As I left, I looked for the basket to place my own bag of bagels into, since I really didn't want them and others obviously need it. The basket was nowhere to be found.
June 23rd, 2009 at 02:32am