Flood Out (God Help Us)

It was 6.00 am in the morning when I lazily woke up to the sound of my friend texting “Ean. It’s flooding. Yay. No class today!” Oh yeah, it seems like the ‘YAY’ didn’t get too far, as two days later we found ourselves spending times in total darkness with no clean water supply.

My house is still flooding with water which came from the overflowed river nearby. To make things worse, the water gates in five reservoirs were opened, causing the water from higher ground filling the area in front of my house. It went up to the thigh last time I checked, and my college was like a massive scale swimming pool, only with milk-tea water in it. I'm not that worried about it, but we need ELECTRICITY dammit! So Me and Mu decided on a really drastic plan to charge our electrical appliances (cellphone and laptops) at the nearby mall. Well, you guessed it, everyone there was like, “Dude, dya forgot to pay your electricity bill?“ . Haha. Good thing is, We have no school for more than a week but on the down side, we have to evacuate our house to other places.

Evacuating. That is actually the last thing I wanna do. But luckily me and some lucky friends get to a really nice place with hot shower, cable TV, and yeah, a swimming pool. Isnt it ironic? Our house is submerged in water and yet, I happily jumped into the swimming pool like nobody’s business? Lol. That’s really a heaven compared to my other friends who have to spend the whole week in a blah youth hostel.

And then, unlike other ‘survivors’ who are supposed to look gloomy and sad, we did exactly the opposite thing. We went mall hopping because there’s nothing else to do. Yesterday, there was this really cool vintage boutique and fuck, I spent $350 on clothing alone. My dad called and said “Go shopping, you’ve been through a hard time.” Oh yeah. I love you, dad.

We’ll be spending a week more in this place before it’s safe to go back home. A WEEK! I’m dying of boredom here! Oh well, but you know what, there are some motherfuckers who take advantage during this hard time- my friend, Corrie and Suk, lose their savings which they kept in the house- some $1200 worth of cash! Oh yeah, and other students’ laptops were already two feet underwater. Just in case you’re wondering, im typing this from Dunkin Donuts, they have wireless internet connection here and yeah, I found myself carrying Ghost (the name of my Compaq) every time, in search of available method of communication. I miss talking to you people.

Til then, so long everyone. I’ll cya when I found another free wireless hotspot. Bye!

Image
Picture taken on first day of flood at 9.00 am. The water is chocolate milk-like and the whole area looks like a gigantic piece of shit basin by now.
February 7th, 2007 at 08:55am