Some things I love about the Harry Potter series

If you read my two journals about my books then you saw that I have a lot of Harry Potter books, I have a Harry Potter wall, and just a lot of Harry Potter stuff. If you haven’t figured it out, I love the Harry Potter books. They’re my favorite series and nothing will replace them. Since the sixth movie is coming out this week I thought I should write about some of the things I love about the books.

Hogwarts, I wish I could go there. My friends and I want to go to England after we graduate, find Platform nine and three-quarters, and take the Hogwarts Express to Hogwarts. And we’re serious about that; people seem to think we’re joking when we tell them that. I love the Wizarding world and everything in it that Jo created. If I was given the chance to live there I would in a heartbeat. It just seems like so much fun! Well besides the whole Voldemort and Death Eaters thing and the stupid Ministry. Besides all of that the Wizarding world sounds like it would be a blast to be in. It has Diagon Alley, Quidditch, and Hogsmead. I would just love to be there.

Her characters. I grew up in love with Harry, he was my first fictional crush and Daniel Radcliffe was my first celebrity crush. I loved Ron and Hermione was my favorite female character. I hated Malfoy, Snape, Voldemort, and Umbridge because they were Harry’s enemies. That was when I was younger. Now that I’ve grown up I have different opinions. I still love Harry but I’m not totally in love with him because of how he begins to acts during Order of the Phoenix. I have sympathy for Draco and I have a love/hate relationship with Bellatrix. The characters change and my feelings for them change as the books go on. I like how Jo didn’t keep her characters the same through the books. They developed, made mistakes, and went through relatable events as they grew older with crushes, school fights, etc.

Some of my favorite Harry Potter characters are Harry, Hermione, Ron because they’re the main characters and I learned the most about them. Neville because he is just so cool and he showed his Gryffindor side quite a few times; Luna because she was the odd, sweet girl who you couldn’t help but love; all of the Weasley’s, Percy was only in DH when he wanted to kill the Death Eaters for Fred, because they were so kind to Harry and all of them are just awesome; Tonks because she’s so fun. Lupin, he was the best DADA teacher Harry had and even though he had a few rough parts he was still there to fight and help Harry; Sirius, I wish there was more of him, it would’ve been great to learn more about him. There are a lot more characters that I love but I think that should be enough.

I love the details Jo puts into her writing. There’s not too much so that it’s overload but it’s not just a little bit. I can imagine what’s going on easily. I think she’s an amazing writer.

The movies. The Sorcerer’s Stone is my favorite movie so far. It was the closest to the book, I think it has a grainier look to it which I think is better, the students stayed in their school uniforms and didn’t wear Muggle clothes half the time, Richard Harris played Dumbledore, and the actors were all so cute when they were younger! I think Quidditch looked the best there, too.

Chamber of Secrets was good too, it was close enough to the book but they left out the Deathday party which would have been awesome to see. Prisoner of Azkaban was all right, that was when they started dressing in Muggle clothes more often and I didn’t like it, though the creatures like hippogriffs and dementors were good. With Goblet of Fire they should have showed the Quidditch World Cup, had Ludo Bagman, made Fleur more like the book Fleur, and they should have made the third task more like the book. Besides those things and a few others the movie was okay.

Order of the Phoenix is my least favorite movie so far. The dementors in the beginning looked so different from the ones in PoA, they went through things too quickly, half of the movie was a montage, there was no Quidditch which would have been great to see and in result of that there was no ‘Weasley is our King’, and the fight at the Ministry wasn’t that great. There were some good parts, I think Evanna Lynch did a really good job with Luna; Umbridge had a great giggle, she could’ve been fatter and looked more like a toad, though; Helena Bohem Carter is a great Bellatrix, she has the craziness down; the firework attack from Fred and George was cool to see; and the thestrals were cute.

I know there’s a lot to fit into each movie and they can’t put everything in but there’s so much that I wish could be in the movies. I can’t wait until Wednesday to see Half-Blood Prince, at least I hope I see it Wednesday, I still have to work out the details with my friends. So that’s it for this journal. My next journal will probably be out Wednesday or Thursday and I’ll have a picture of me dressed as Tonks for when I see the movie.
July 13th, 2009 at 09:17pm