Tatts and old fashioned parents don't mix.

Today I got my second tatt, four music notes behind my left ear- and my mum went ballistic. I told her yesterday that I was going to get one and explained exactly what and where. I don't know, maybe she thought I was joking or something, but I showed her when I got home and she was totally pissed off.

I knew she'd be a little bummed but she was fully 'I need to talk to you' mad. I'm 20 years old but I still feel bad whenever I do anything my parents don't like, I think it's a part of being bought up in a pretty traditional household that stuck.

My mum is super traditional but not super strict like some parents can be. She's asian and I think that has a lot to do with it. She still sees tatts as some criminal related thing (she even said she didn't want me to get addicted...yes she called it an addiction like drugs =S). I can see where she's coming from but I mean, they make me so happy and I see it so differently from the way she does and I wish she could accept how much I love them. She doesn't even listen when I try to explain why I like them (namely I think they're beautiful art and a way of displaying what you love).

I think what makes it worse is that I have always been a good kid and done everything my parents want. I go to uni and I get good grades, I don't drink or smoke or do drugs. I just wish she could see the good stuff instead of focusing on the stuff she doesn't like. And everytime I remind her I don't care what other people think she just gets mad. I don't want to not get along with her because I do love her, but it sucks because I wish she'd support me in the things I love instead of feeling like I'm all alone. I guess what it comes down to is that I think my mum still wants me to be a lot of things I'm not and doesn't understand me that well on top of the fact that it feels like she doesn't really accept me for who I am without wanting to change stuff.

Sigh. I don't want other peoples opinions to stop me from living the way I want to. I guess I'm torn between pleasing my parents and doing what makes me happy. Story of my life.
July 14th, 2009 at 08:02am