Sellouts.

Did anyone see the article on this?
Sorry, the article didn't piss me off, what it was about did.
What the hell is a freaking sell out anyway?
In my opinion (I'm really learning to hate that phrase) there is no such thing as a sell out.

I've seen definitions as a band/person that changes to be accepted by the masses, someone that is mass produced or sounds completely the same, someone who uses music to get fame, someone who just gets famous, someone who changes for the record label, or just someone that changes in general.

Most people call bands sellouts because they come out with a new album and they don't like it, therefore, they get angry at the band, and bash them by calling them sellouts.

Some of the most common bands called sellouts are (but not limited to): My Chemical Romance, Panic[!] at the Disco, The Used, All Time Low, Boys Like Girls, Linkin Park, Green Day, Taking Back Sunday, Fall Out Boy, and Escape the Fate.

I have one thing to say about this whole "sellout" thing and that is that people change. People grow older. Think about it, between every one of these bands' albums, there are probably about two or three years at the least, look back and think about the last two or three years of your life, did you stay exactly the same? Did your way of thinking, your experiences, your interests, your music taste stay exactly the same as they were then?
The vast majority will say "No" to this question.

I also have a question, everyone that gets mad at bands for "changing" answer honestly, do you want to be excited for a new album, go through all the anticipation of waiting for your favourite band to put out those new songs you've been longing for for the past maybe year and a half, and then have that new album sound exactly the same as the last one that you've already gotten tired of?
I know I wouldn't, I would be pissed and incredibly dissapointed.

Thank you for reading this rant, if you've gotten to the end.
I appreciate it. (:

But I would really like to know one thing, who else thinks similarly or differently?
I'd really like to hear your opinion. (:
July 17th, 2009 at 06:43am