Marco not Polo!

Okies, I don't care what the fuck you think...but my favorite show right now is Degrassi! Its like this teen drama on the N, a television network for teens. I was never much into soap operas but this one I began watching because of a little shy, passionate, and very handsome I might add, guy named Marco. Might I say, that he is the most brave, headstrong..and ADORABLE person on the freakin show!! He brings up the many issues that teens face today...what if I'm gay....will people accept me? This is what our now openly gay Italian beauty Marco has to offer. Although, he wasn't always accepting of himself..as he found out that he was attracted to men after meeting spinner (but, thats a whole different story), but what we have to understand that he was very young and afraid of these new feelings that he felt were wrong and were taught to him as wrong.

At first we meet Marco at a huge milestone in his life, struggling between his sexuality and what others expect of him...that its normal to love the opposite sex..well..love can come in many forms guys (which is one of the things he learned). And, love is beautiful..no matter what form!! But, what I love about Marco is how he doesn't give up on life even though his sexual preferances are different..and how even though his parents are still not that accepting of him..he eventually seeks to open the minds of the Catholic church (since his parents were catholics) to gays..and that yes..hohohoho..thought it wasn't possible..that GOD LOVES GAYS..there is nothing wrong with being in LOVE (this is another aspect he discovers). This is one of the many things he was trying to strive for after coming out and is still striving for. So, This is what we see in him..a positive beautiful person that he is now! Everytime I watch the show, my spirit lifts, because he is soo full of joy and his strong willingness to go on..to persue his dreams to the best of his abilities just amazes me. No matter the discrimination from his parents, glares from striaght guys and the many other struggles he's been though, he still remains in high spirits and focuses on the opportunities ahead. Marco is the one person who is the true strong one out of all the characters in Degrassi because ounce he graduated from high school and moved on to college..he pursued his dreams and said to the world "Hello, I'm Marco, ya I'm gay and very proud of it, thank you."

P.S: the actor who even played Marco on Degrassi came out and said he was gay during an interview,he said that through his character he had learned that even he himself had been struggling with his sexuality and was hiding his true identity from the world..and so came out after filming Degrassi:the Next Generation. He said to the interviewer that playing Marco had really opened his eyes about the gay community..and how their is no crime in LOVE and how just being yourself is the true source of one's strength.

So, their you have it folks! Through, this shy, passionate, and now openly gay character named Marco, we can learn about our true identities and to look upon those of the LGBT community as people like you me.
if you don't agree with this..don't bother reading it
July 17th, 2009 at 09:40pm