PostSecret :/ The project that captured a nation's imagination

PostSecret
13345 Copper Ridge Rd
Germantown, Maryland
20874

I went to Books a Million today and found a book about PostSecrets.

I fell in love with it.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's were you write a secret on a postcard and send it to the address above.
You don't write your address or your name.

That’s the catch.

It can be any secret you've kept from anyone, even yourself.

"You are invited to anonymously contribute a secret to a group art project. Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Be brief. Be legible. Be creative."

But really, as I started reading, I realized that my thoughts on this guy who was probably nosey changed.

This wasn't really about someone reading your deepest moments and embarrassing secrets.

Once I finished the book, I realized that these people, whoever they were, have been through the same shit I've been going through in a similar way.
We've all been through something, wither it was difficult emotionally, mentally, or physically.

It was therapy.

These people were given a choice on wither to write to him or not even bother with it.

If you did then, maybe, you were helping yourself get over something.
To let it out into the world without anyone know your identity.
A persons reasons can vary on this situation.

Even Frank Warren, founder and curator of the PostSecret project quoted saying.
"I like to believe that whenever a painful secret ends its trip to my mailbox, a much longer personal journey of healing is beginning-for all of us."

I believe that he is right.

I hope if you stuck around this long to read this, that if you have a secret that you want to tell, but you don't want your identity found out, that you'll write to him.

Because I think that a lot of people here have a secret that hurts them in some way.
And maybe your afraid, shy, scared of what others will think if it ever got out.

Maybe, this could be a way for you to just let it out and give yourself a chance to heal.
July 19th, 2009 at 01:25am