Your fire makes it all worthwhile

Ten points to whoever knows what song that lyric is from.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I was feeling a bit down. You see, my birthday has always been a bit of a non-event, basically because I was born in the middle of the summer, and all of my friends would be away on holidays or working. The last "birthday bash", I had was about four years ago, and was with only two people, one of whom is not my friend anymore.

So, I was downtown, indulging in a little bit of retail therapy, and I was feeling really glum. I was really beginning to miss my friends and felt a bit teary-eyed as I made my way down Robson to the bus stop. I got on the bus and a few stops down the way, who happens to get on but my good friend, Andrew. I thought that he was working, so it was a big, but welcome surprise to see him. He waved me over and I went to stand with him on the bus. He's the drummer who reminds me of Adam Carson.

Andy, as I call him, was there with his brother David, who I hadn't met before. They were heading over to Capilano for hockey and then going to a team BBQ after wards. Let me please just a moment to gush over the family; his clan are really, really ridiculously good looking. His oldest brother is becoming a model, last I heard. His brothers aren't my kind of guys, and don't really do it for me, but I can't deny how attractive they are. Andy is my favorite one, though. Even my mother likes to gush over him. She likes to joke that she could, "totally have Andy as a son-in-law." I wouldn't even let my mom pick out my clothes, let alone my husband!

Anyways, as I was saying before I started thinking with my genitalia, the three of us were chatting and I was feeling, at this point, exponentially better, when Andy starts talking about Tucker, the film I worked with Zia on. (Andy is the one who introduced the two of us.) So we go on about Tucker and Zia for a bit, and Andy says, "I was really impressed with it, with the whole thing, but, I think Zia could have used a little bit more you in it." (I was an extra in a bunch of scenes.)

So, the three of us get off at the same stop. Andy & David had to go to the grocery store to pick up some hot dogs for the barbecue, so Andy invited me along to kill time before I had to meet up with my mom. The two of them had to meet up with a hockey buddy so they were feeling a bit rushed for time, so the three of us were running around the Extra-foods looking for ketchup and buns, and then the two of them were bickering over what types of sausages to get. They figure that stuff out and then they have to decide whether to go through the self checkout, except it was full or wait in the 12 Items or Less line. They go with the latter, so David gives Andy some cash while he waits somewhere else. There were about twenty people waiting in front of us, so the two of us were standing in line for quite a while. By now I was feeling much happier, partly due to the fact that the two of them are really funny together and also, it was nice to just be with someone friendly, if only for a little bit.

So, as we were waiting in line, after trying and failing to guess the title of a magazine that was covered by a newspaper, Andy starts asking me if I want anything. I just laugh and say no, but he continues. ( "No, really, are you sure? No Vogue, Cosmopolitan? What about Traditional Homes? Power Boating Canada?" ) I'm just laughing and telling him, no, ( "But don't you want to find out more about Jon & Kate?" ). Close to the checkout was the florist kind of section, and there was a sign advertising 6 inch anthuriums.

"What about some flowers?"
"What?"
"Would you like some flowers?"
"No, you don't have to."
"No really. Where else are you gonna find six inch anthuriums ... that's six inches of magenta anthuriums right there."
"No, it's fine."
"I don't mind."
"No Andy, really, it's okay."
"Well, okay."

So, they pay for their stuff and go out and hail a cab so they can quickly get into North Van. I had to leave because I was already late to meet with the mother, so we hugged and as they drive off, Andy calls out, "don't forget about those anthuriums!"

For me, it was really the thought that counted so now I feeling very cheerful and I was smiling for the rest of the day.

Anyways, that was just a small story about how a little bit of kindness & consideration can really go a long way for someone. I'll keep it in mind from now on.

Wipe your dog & then do the dishes!
- Linden
July 25th, 2009 at 01:19pm