The Box (A Rant)

In my constant observation of humanity I've collected many common behaviors of the modern person. Most have an ability to form and continue casual social relationships with many different people and have the ability to destroy and get over said casual relationship instantaneously. These social relationships are basic connections to people who are like minded; who share characteristics or who share the want for certain characteristics. In middle school students branch off into social relationship groups or "cliques" which are easily described (usually by 2 words or less) because young teenagers strive for definition considering they don't know what to do with the mismatched mess that is their personality. So they train themselves if you will to display certain common characteristics whether it be a certain manner of speech or dress to perpetuate these casual social relationships.

But all of you probably know this.

But in highschool the lines between these groups become a little more blurred and there is more of a singular identity of what makes someone "normal" or characteristics people have to share in order to accumulate a high number of casual social relationships. Across a large variety of teenagers you see glaring similarities. Especially among the kids who try to deviate from the majority. Automatically if you are one of these exceptions or "weird" kids you are are expected to act, dress etc. a certain way thus making it commonplace and therefore... normal. There is no such thing as weird anymore. You can fit anyone's personality inside one big box titled "human".

When people grow up into adulthood people have learned to accept ideas of right and wrong that are engrained in their brain. It is wrong to call someone after 10:00 p.m unless it's an emergency, for example. Basic etiquette that controls the behavior of the majority of mature humans in the world. Not only is there that but ideas that are accepted as "right" and if any ideas deviate from those they are considered "crazy" and people who think of these things are labeled insane and given a prescription whereas in ancient civilizations these people would have been considered "enlightened" and given the means to record their ideas and these live on as the modern religions we know. This is probably why no religious progress has been made since the writing of the Qu'ran. At least in monotheism (which is another rant of mine considering I think it's the root of the evil of modern society.).

Basically what I'm saying with this is there is no weird and if there was it would not be okay by today's societal standards. Everyone's afraid to be outside the box, to speak outside the box though I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks outside the box. I'm just one of the few people who can say their ideas without of fear of being called crazy. I'm not afraid of a bad reputation.
July 29th, 2009 at 01:56am