Journal turn-offs.

You know what really turns me off to Journals?

× No structure. If a journal is one big lump of letters, I can't be bothered picking out where the main topic ends, or where the next one begins. If one journal is a huge paragraph of just sentances really going nowhere, have the decency to make it look good.

× Grammatical errors. I absolutely hate seeing the "your, you're" and "their, there, they're" used incorrectly. I'm quite anal about that, but it's just a bit of OCD acting up there.

× Rants about nothing important. Oh my god. My friend did this, now this guy did this, I'm thirteen and ranting about my shit life. It's an issue brought up again and again, and journals have been dedicated to bash this. Truely? If you're making yourself out to be the 'victim' in your 'shitty, short little pathetic life', I really don't give a flying fuck. I'll be one of the few to say it. I don't give a damn about your attempt for attention. If you're asking for help and advice, do it properly.

× Journal titles like "HELP!" and "omg. n e 1 wana rede tis?!". They're not exactly the most eye-catching titles, and they don't attract much good advice.

× Comment for Comment. Seriously. There are forums and other places to whore your stories, and if you make a deal with someone like Comment For Comment, odds are the User is just going to smack a random "good job" on the comment forum, and not even read your story.

These don't apply to everyone, and if your journal has one or two of these, take it with a grain of salt. Just, for the love of god. Spam can be more than 100 characters, and have a 'purpose'.
July 30th, 2009 at 04:04am