Survivor: Band Camp (the Friday before)

Okay. here we go.

I'm trying to prepare myself for next week. We had a prep camp this week, with only about half the time (from eight a.m. to noon). But next week is the real deal.

The show: Indiana Jones

The Band: Barbe Band of Blue.

Time: 10:50 A.M., Friday, July Thirty-first, 2009.

Alright. Here we go. If you don't know my name, then I don't care. I'll not be using the real people's names, either. In fact, I won't really be using names at all, unless talking about a composer. But, on with the show.

Today started out quite simply. I woke up (unwillingly; my dad has his own methods) and stayed in bed for about ten minutes. Then I decided, "Well, I have to be there at 7:30, so I may as well get ready." I picked out my clothes, preparing for another day of marching drills and crazy runs. Shirt, pants, shoes (Tip #1: Never wear marching shoes to band camp. It will feel like you've stuck your feet into a hot bath in the middle of the Sahara.) Smart me, I chose Converse ©. I put on sunscreen and deodorant, and I looked outside.

It was raining rather hard.

So after a few seconds of feeling stupid, I went on Mibba and checked my comments, etc.

*~*~*~*

When I got to school, it was still raining. I said hi to some of my friends and sat down in the front row (Lucky me, I'm a flute. Unluckily, I'm a prime target for thrown conductor's batons/ drumsticks being banged on my stand. We worked out a few more kinks in the music. Then finally, the conductor (or one of them, at least. We have two.) said the words I knew some of the freshmen must have been dreading.

"Turn your stands around."

Even if you are not a band geek, I think you can guess what this means. We were working on the finale of the entire show. (Let me tell you, after playing that, typing is a cinch.) It was two pages long, and pretty easy, even though the tempo was 134 bpm and most of the patterns were eight and sixteenth note rhythms that would make Charlie Daniels and his trusty fiddle cower in fear.

After a bit more of that, we finally went on to stands music. (Tip#2: When a band conductor says 'one last time', be prepared to play it about five more times or so.) Our flipbooks are GREAT this year. Our list is:

-The Star Spangled Banner (very pretty flute part)

-the Fight song (of course)

-Hey! Baby! (sung by Bruce Channe. We actually sing in this one! So much fun in the stands)

-Land of 1000 Dances (lots of fun, too.)

-Apache (If you like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, then you probably know this song)

-Better Now

-Chameleon (really fun jazz piece)

-THE CHICKEN DANCE!!!

-Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne)

-Dazz (It's a disco song)

-DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP!

-ENTER SANDMAN BY METALLICA~!! (the band version isn't that good, but I bet we could change that ;] )

-FIRE (by Jimi Hendrix)

-FRANKENSTEIN (another really fun jazz piece)

-Gimme Some Lovin' (not much love for this piece. I like the song, but it makes me think about the time I had to play it in twenty-two degree weather. Still fun to play, though)

-Gone Daddy Gone (by Gnarls Barkley. Very cool song)

-The Impression That I Get (Great song. So fun.)

-LOW RIDER BY WAR (aka 'George Lopez' theme song)

-OLD TIME ROCK AND ROLL (by Bob Segar. The song with Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear from Risky Business.)

-Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones. (This one I don't care for much. It's a good song, but the band version is going to SUCK.)

-JAWS THEME

-Radar Love

-School's Out

-SEVEN NATION ARMY BY THE WHITE STRIPES!

-THE TIME WARP!!!!!! I don't even know the dance, and I love the song! (Never seen the movie either)

Well, anyway, I got home, got on here, and have been typing this ever since. We got out early today because of the reason I already mentioned. (Rain=What you pray for during Band Camp)

Well, that's about it. Until Monday, then!!

Oh, and feel free to comment, shouldst thou wisheth.
July 31st, 2009 at 06:23pm