Painful Memory Of The Wonderful Woman

She died today. My Grandmother.

This morning to be exact.

The phone call woke me up. They, the hospital, called my house at about two thirty this morning. At the time of course I didn't think anything of it. Might have been a wrong number. It happens sometimes. I fell asleep so quickly that I didn't hear my father rushing to get ready to be at the hospital.

My parents told me this morning. Mom told me to continue to babysit today. Maybe it might take my mind off it. And it did... for awhile.

We, some family and I, went to say our goodbye's before she was cremated. That's when I lost it.

Holding my Auntie Dorothy's hand we turned the corner and there she was. Mouth agape, hair brushed back. Not quite sleeping. She was too pale. Dead, lifeless, gone. Covered in a blue sheet.

I couldn't take it. I quickly walked out of the room crying.

At least she wasn't suffering anymore. At least she hadn't passed any other way then in her sleep. At least I saw her the day before.

Seeing such a wonderful and once strong independent woman so helpless, least of all my Grandma, like that was a memory that was forever engraved in my mind.

Such loving person, she lead such a full life.

Such a wonderful woman, such an adoring Grandma.
August 1st, 2009 at 03:36am