Here We Go Again

My father loves me this I know, for he likes to tell me so.

Therefore, I get how important my happiness and wellbeing are to him. First and foremost, he wants me to be happy. And happy usually means that you don't have debt up to your neck. He's trying to save me from having all these unnecessary college bills, and that I can appreciate. It's just that he's so . . . controlling?

He wants me to live with him and go to one of the local colleges nearby. However, he doesn't seem to realize that food and board make up only a small portion of the overall college tuition. And he's so set in stone. I will go to one of these colleges. I will live with him. I will be a vet. (Okay, so maybe this last one isn't as forced and rigid, but he does keep planning my life for me.)

This weekend I told him I was considering one of those colleges, and he said -- and I quote -- "Good. You're going to have to go there."

I have to go there? No, I don't. Not at all, in fact. When I mentioned this, he freaked out. Like he always does.

"You can't afford not to live with me."

"I can take out a loan, get a job, something."

"They won't give you a loan because you have no collateral."
Which is true. Except I was referring to student loans, which I'm pretty sure are given out to people who don't have full time jobs.

"And I don't have any money to help you out."

Then I said something along the lines of, "I'm not asking you to help me. It's my life. It's my future. It's my impending debt."

Which, of course, he didn't like to hear.

I get that it's a good intention, but the way I see it, he really has no say in what I decide to do.

People accumulate debt when they go to college (well, most do, at least). That much is inevitable. It's going to happen whether or not I live with him and attend one of those local colleges, so I might as well enjoy my college life. I might as well pick the college of my dreams (though in all honesty, I was considering one of those close to him) and live on campus (most colleges require you to anyway, at least for a semester). I might as well do study abroad programs. I might as well because truly I'll never get the chance to again.

After the college fever died down, the topic turned to this year -- my senior year. I have the highest GPA for my class and am, in all likelihood, going to be valedictorian. But my father felt the need to warn me.

"Don't slack off just because it's your senior year."

Good advice, yes. But I've never been a hard worker. Frankly, I'm a slacker. (Well, maybe slacker isn't the right word. It's a bit too strong. I mean, I do my work and I do it well, but I'm a procrastinator. I'm a bit lazy, sloth-like almost, but I never quit until I'm certain I've done a good job.) I've always been one, so I don't see this year as something special (other than it being my last year in high school, of course).

So I said something like, "I'm not worried about it."

"You should be. You slack off and next thing you know someone else will be valedictorian and you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life."

True, very true. Except I have an entire three point lead. Not three tenths. A three point zero point lead. The guidance counselor told my mom when she went in for something last year that I might as well start writing my speech because even if I totally mess up this year and nearly fail every class AND the going-to-be-salutatorian (which is constantly changing because they are separated by just tenths) kicks butt and makes 100s in every class, three points is three points. It's practically impossible to jump up that much in one year. And it's not like I am going to nearly fail.

But things like numbers aren't solid enough for a man like my father. Not unless they're his numbers.

"If someone did surpass me, then obviously he or she deserved the award more than I did. So I wouldn't kick myself for life."

"You mean you don't care?!"

"I cared about getting highest GPA in eighth grade. Now...not so much."

And our disagreement(s) continued on until I was able to trick him onto my side by talking about this year's band and the girl who thinks she controls the clarinet section. (Ironically, he doesn't like authority figures. Or rather, the kind of people who think they have the upper hand but really don't.)

I love my father, but sometimes he can just be so annoying. I'm lucky to have him, though, and for that I am thankful.
*Mi amiga would like some contestants, and since I'm not entering, I promised to at least mention it every chance I got. So here you are:
Naruto: The Real Life

Without wax,
Elisabeth
August 3rd, 2009 at 03:14pm