Camp

So I just got back from a 5 day soccer camp, it was so uber epic. There are so many stories from it, and soooo many inside jokes I wouldn't have any idea where to begin. But I'll try to write the big parts.

BTW, everyone in the car is me, Mac, Rachel, Callie, and Rachel's dad, Doug. I'm in the middle of the backseat between Mac on my left and Callie on my right. Rachel's in the passenger seat and of course Doug is driving.

Day 1 - Leave at 9 AM. On the way we always see signs for South of the Border, which I'm sure people who drive on I-95 know very well. Mac is asleep, and everyone else is saying how we're all starving and have to go t to the bathroom. So Mr. Doug was all 'How bout we go to South of the Border?' So we agreed and were all excited, and of course I'm so excited I turn and scream in Mac's ear 'MAC GUESS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH OF THE BORDER' and then turn and talk like nothing had happened. All while Mac jumps up and nearly hits her head on the ceiling. I'm so lovely.
We arrive at Callie's grandparents to stay the night. Instead of staying at the house and eating we go out to eat at this buffet style restaurant. When we get there there's already a table full of hot guys, and this other guy with his family who's listening to his iPod. We liked to watch him cause he would mouth along with the words and headbang, play air guitar, etc. That was a good laugh. We all ate and decided to get dessert since we'd have to be careful about what we ate at camp. Mac says she wants some chocolate cake, so I volunteer to get her some. So I come back with a bowl with two huge slices of chocolate cake and a brownie in the middle. I make a huge show of putting the plate down in front of her, and her face goes so pale when she sees it. She jokingly complains about it the rest of the meal while going between picking at eating it and pushing it away from her, all while the guys [along with another table of guys who had come in mid-meal] laughed at her. And of course the waitress took that plate last. Oh good times.

Day 2 - Not much EXCEPT something huge. We found out our teams that day. They give us maybe 45 minutes to get our stuff in the dorms and unpack, etc. before having to be outside to go to the fields. So we get to the fields in a huge group and they list our teams. I see this guy with dreadlocks, who's obviously a coach so I was all 'Ooh cool! I want him to be my coach!' and of course he's not, but it's okay, I ended up with better. ;] heh heh. So they call out my name and Callie's, Rachel's, and Mac's, and say 'with coach Erica and Renato' so we turn and look at them him and were like 0_o cause no joke he looked JUST LIKE Cristiano Ronaldo. He had the hair, earrings, and everything, even spoke Portuguese!
And me and Mac [who were roommates] were late to sunrise session. Bad idea. Totally embarrassing. Oh wells. No one really did anything about it. Except the scary head goalie dude was all 'don't you think you should be on time, now you have to be 8 minutes early to every session from now on [cause we were 8 minutes late], etc. Although in our defense we got ready in record time. For real. Olympics record.

Day 3 - We made friends with Adam. We had noticed Adam sitting by himself every day and stuff so at lunch that day we made it a point to leave him a spot at the head of the table. When he went to sit down somewhere else I made eye contact with him and started hitting the table with my hand in a way that would have made Thumper from Bambi proud. So that's how we ended up like following him/making him come everywhere with us. except the dorms of course. That would be creepy.
Also the day I helped lead Nigera [my world cup team] to win second place. France beat us :[ rawr.

Day 4 - That night we had pressure training, which is uber intense. Basically we got there, warmed up some, stood in a circle watched the coaches show us the stint, each lasting 40 seconds. While they were showing us the stint we would have to cheer as loud as we possibly could, otherwise he'd add on another stint. Which is very, very bad. So when SHaun [the head coach guy] blew the whistle once, you and your partner would run to your area and do the stint, then sprint back when he blew the whistle again. So, in like the 4th stint or so one partner would have the ball [me] and kick it though your partner's legs [Callie]. I would then jump over Callie leap frog style and get the ball and repeat. After the stint she had to go see the trainer because her neck was hurting. So from that stint to when we had like 10 stints left, I had to work with Coach Jerome for the partner drills [unfortunately Renato wasn't close by, otherwise I definitely would have asked him haha] so I ended up having to do my share of the stints AND hers. I was dying. Well my thighs were. I was really okay. BUT halfway through pressure training we're all watching the coaches do the stint, and the coaches NOT demonstrating and this other guy Dallen were running around getting us more hyped up and cheering louder and stuff, and I just BURST OUT CRYING. For no reason. Well no reason apparently to anyone else. I usually don't cry at anything like that, but I guess I was having a moment, or it was just the fact that everyone was really trying to cheer the coaches on and stuff and I wasn't used to my teammates honestly caring....IDK but I was bawling. So I got some funny looks from Mac and Rachel. Callie just totally missed it.
After the pressure training, everyone was walking back together, and I was walking ahead with Rachel while Callie and Mac walked slower. We were walking next to Dallen and in front of Renato, Rondell, and Jerome I think, and I was trying to get Rachel to skip with me and Dallen was kind of jog/skipping....I don't know what you would call it. The coaches got mad though, I guess they were getting more tired just watching us. POINT IS somehow I ended up singing We Are The Champions with Dallen. Fun stuff.

Day 5 - PK championships, etc. Nothing really concerning soccer. After the morning session we got my mom to take a picture of us with Renato. It's cutsie. :] He also told us how to say fail in Portuguese [falhar]. 'Twas epic. [He didn't know how to say epic. Falhar]
That night we go to eat at UNO's, and our waiter was soooo strung out it was just too hard not to mess with him. But I took pity on him and didn't. How kind am I? But he had these uber weird eyes that when you made eye contact with him it seemed like he was staring straight through you or something. IT was creepy. But I got coke and Mac got Diet Coke, and we had already drunk all of it by the time the pizza got there, so he went to get us refills but brought back the total wrong drinks, but we felt bad cause he was really trying. So I, not knowing he was coming behind me, was all, 'hurry and drink it before he comes back!' so I got to like chug my Pepsi while Mac tries not to laugh. I don't realize that she's laughing at the fact that i'm chugging my drink right in front of the waiter. So I look over and see his waist and do that slowly looking up at the person thing they always have little kids do in movies, you know where they don't actually move their head. Mac nearly had a heart attack. that was probably one of those things you had to be there for. Anyway.

Day 6 - We go to Busch Gardens. No joke, not 2 minutes after I step out of the car the guy who parked next to us is like, 'Brazil? Seriously?' Cause we had Brazil written on the back of my mom's car cause Renato was from Brazil and we're cool like that. SO I was all, 'Yeah, Brazil for the win!' Which launched us into the this whole Brazil vs. USA soccer debate, which soon turned into a Ronaldo debate cause I was wearing a Ronaldo Manchester United jersey at the time. I start soccer debates everywhere I go. It's a gift. What can I say?

Well that's all of it. Of course there was waaaaaaay more but I was getting tired of typing. ;] yay lazy people!
August 5th, 2009 at 06:56am