Sweet Rats

{There's a site that is the exact opposite of FMyLife.com. It's called GivesMeHope.}

I found this post:

"When I was a child I had just been yelled at by my parents, and went down to cry beside my pet rat's cage. When she noticed I was crying, she walked to her food bowl, grabbed a cracker, and handed it to me through the bars. Loving pets GMH."

It reminded me of my own pet rat I had had years ago....

My first ever pet rat was about four years old. He was sick, respiratory failure due to old age. The vet gave him a shot to make him more comfortable and told us there wasn't really anything else to do.

Later on that week my pet rat was sitting on my couch (a place we often let him sit because he never jumped off to run away). I was standing on the other end of the living room, in the doorway that led to the kitchen when I suddenly felt something at my feet.

I looked down to see my little pet sitting there. He had managed to get his frail little body off the couch and walked all the way across the large room to see me. I picked him up and as I held him in my arms he passed away.

He wanted to say goodbye.

So many people say that animals can't really have emotions or that they only exhibit signs of loyalty because you feed them. I know firsthand that that isn't true. Loving pets give me hope.

Do you have any stories about animals who have shown their love and intelligence to you?
August 8th, 2009 at 09:09pm