The Dangers of Brushing Your Dog's Teeth

So, today, I attempted to brush my dog's teeth for the second time. The first time wasn't so bad, since she didn't squirm as much; but, WOW. This one was tough...especially since I went to take her to the bathroom to brush right after my dad gave her a huge pork bone.

So, she spent like an hour and a half chewing on the bone, and so I take the bone away from her. She growls at me, and nips at my fingertips. I shush her, and carry her into the bathroom. As I have her sit on the toilet seat, I'm getting the things ready (well, the kit. It's just a dog toothbrush, a finger toothbrush, and dog toothpaste).

After five minutes, she starts getting aggressive, and starts trying to attack my hands. I pick her up, flip her upside down so she's laying on her back, and lock her in with my legs. She squirms as I brush, and her super sharp canine tooth dug right into my left index finger, scooping up some skin. Of course, I'm bleeding by now.

I shove her up into the air, glare at her, and spank her butt a couple of times (and no, it's not animal abuse. It's a form of punishment.)

And now, here I am, sitting at the computer with a throbbing finger with a band-aid wrapped around it, typing up this story.

I'm just warning whoever that it very dangerous to brush your dog's teeth when they're still teething, and after you give them a rather large bone to chew on.
August 9th, 2009 at 07:03am