Music is love, but how do YOU show it?

Okay, so I finally got the first 3OH!3 album after waiting for a good month to get myself one of those coveted iTunes gift cards. As I waited for my special brand of alternative electronic rap to download, I browsed the most critical comments. I knew what I was getting myself into, but my curiosity got the better of me. What I found annoyed me out of my mind! It wasn't exactly what they were writing that annoyed me, it was more of the fact I knew what kind of people were leaving these comments. The kind that say they "love" music. The comments were things like "this is crap," or "who likes this shit?" or one of my personal faves "if poop had a sound, this is what it would be. i think my ears just threw up." It was the fact that these people probably pride themselves on an extensive collection of what they consider to be good music and then turn around and criticize other genres without even giving a decent reason. Now before you go around saying I'm hypocritical and what not, I'm not saying people don't have a right to dislike music, because there are some genres and albums I would like to throw out of a speeding car. I'm just saying that you should at least have a good reason. Also, at least respect the artist. Making music takes a lot of work and even if you don't like a song, at least respect the time and effort by not saying that the song "noise" or something of that sort. Really, if you think about it, based on the real definition of "noise" isn't all music just noise? If you're going around saying something is just "noise," I think you need to be some sort of incredibly amazing child protegy that has been making music since you could form sentences.
The thing that this incident made me think most about is people who love music. Does having 1,000 songs on your iPod really make you a music lover? I think not. My definition of a music lover is someone who enjoys many genres and the genres they don't like they respect. Even mainstream, because even if some artists are huge cocky sellouts, they did put work into at least singing the song. So, if you want to be a music lover, you can't just say it. You have to show it by not going around criticizing everything that's not "your music" or is "mainstream."
That's just my opinion. What do YOU think? You can critcize me if you want, but I really do want to know what everyone else thinks about it.
August 16th, 2009 at 04:31am