English.

1. This year Mary took agriculture as her elective, she learned about soil and crop production.
2. The child's mother looked at her cut and saw that the epidermis was infected.
3. Brontosaurus was one of the most commonly recognized herbivores, their diets contained leafs, twigs, and flowers.
4. As we passed the few septic-plant in our town, we held our nose's because the stench was so awful.
5. My father, Noel, went to the doctors after he drank milk and found out he was lactose intolerant.
6. A lunar eclipse can only occur at Full Moon, and only if the Moon passes through some portion of Earth's shadow.
7. The tiger avatar then morphed into a polar bear.
8. Lush, green foliage produced many purple, blue, and yellow flowers.
9. Jennifer decided to further investigate and learn about cardiovascular disease and learned it was the number one heart disease in America.
10. When Tasha was finished with her massage, she asked how much it would cost for acupuncture, then she saw the long needles and changed her mind.
11. After paying this car payment, Jim realized he did not have enough money to pay his dental bill, he regretted going to get his sore tooth checked now.
12. Out of the three different male body types, Brett was ectomorph, which explained how small and skinny his body was.
13. With the grape juice being so sweet I could only assume it had a large amount of glucose in it.
14. When I went for my physical the doctors asked if my family had a history of blood clot and I replied, "yes, my dad has thrombophilia."
15. I had Shelbie explain to me three times that bronchitis was only inflamed lungs.

Passage One: Setting;
"Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it." In the book, "To kill a Mockingbird" the setting takes place in an old town named Maycomb. One could say that the reason Harper Lee described the town as tired and old was to stress the fact that history and roots were deeply embedded in Maycomb. "A day was twenty-four hours long, but seemed longer." The town was slow and mellow. Not much occurred there, but when it did, it effected the whole town. "Maycomb County was recently told it had nothing to fear but fear itself. When Lee ends the description of the setting on a note like so, it leaves one with a tiresome connotation of the town. Maycomb County was in fact a slow and old town.

Passage Two: Internal Conflict;
The children struggle with thoughts of Boo Radley throughout the whole story of, "To Kill a Mockingbird". Was Boo a foe? A friend? One thing was certain Boo was a mystery. "I was fairly sure Boo Radley was inside that house, but i can't prove it." The thrills of sneaking into the Radley's property was enough to keep even the dullest times entertaining. The internal conflict with Scout was whether or not Boo was worth being pursued. Whether it was or wasn't their place to wander on the Radley's property. Scout will have that tug of back-and-forth, is-or-isn't until the day she meets Boo Radley.

Passage Three: Symbolism;
Boo Radley was not just a curious thought, but Lee also used Boo as a symbol. At the beginning of the book, Boo was thought as source of childhood superstition. As the children grow up Boo slowly transforms into an actual being. At the end of the novel, Boo saves Jem and Scout from being murdered from Bob Ewell. He symbolizes the good in people. Lee describes the meeting of Boo subtle and quiet. With Jem passed out, Scout takes advantage of the moment and studies Boo as much as she can. "Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two bars of soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives." One could take from Lee that she said this about Boo to show what a kindred spirit he was. In a way, he was almost, symbolically wise, important as the mockingbird.

Passage Four: External Conflicts;
Out of the many external conflicts, the one I wish to elaborate on is how Atticus and Alexandra. The two argue about how the children should behave and the morals they should follow. Atticus wants Scout and Jem to be well behaved, taught children. At the same time, he wants them to know what is right, that just because something is not popular doesn't mean that they shouldn't follow in that direction. Alexandra on the other hand is one to believe that you must go with the flow, that if you are white, you are of the highest of the class. Atticus and Alexandra butt-heads quite a few times, Atticus at one point bends and lets Alexandra move in and help raise the kids. When it came down to the Tom Robinson trail, Atticus stuck to his guns and told Scout and Jem that no matter what their aunt thought, all people are equal, and if you are for something, you should be proud of it.

Passage Five: Characterization;
" Judge Taylor looked like most judges I had ever seen: amiable, white-haired, slightly ruddy-faced, he was a man who ran his court with an alarming informality- he sometimes propped his feet up, he often cleaned his fingernails with his pocket knife. In long equity hearings, especially after dinner, he gave the impression of dozing, an impression dispelled forever when a lawyer once deliberately pushed a pile of books to the floor in a desperate effort to wake him up. Without opening his eyes, Judge Taylor said, 'Mr. Whitley, do that again and it will cost you one hundred dollars.'" Judge Taylor is much like the town in a sense, he's more then likely lived through many trails and has seen a great deal of things. He's very relaxed and comfortable in his setting. He has great respect for men until you make him have a reason not to. By the description of Judge Taylor, one can see that he is a fair man, who may have "seemed to take his job casually, in reality he kept a firm grip on any proceedings that came before him." Judge Taylor is a perfect example of characterization.

Passage Six: Theme;
The theme of this book is not in just one section. To try and pinpoint exactly where the theme begins and ends is a task that in my eyes, not plausible. The fight of good and evil is a conflict from beginning to end. Some of the examples of good and evil are Atticus vs. Bob Ewell, or Boo Radley vs. the rumors of Maycomb. The children start out innocent but open their eyes and realize that the world isn't the candy-coated playground they once believed in. They see hate, broken dreams, and calamity. Scout is still young and has much to learn, but the situations twist Jem and make him grow up much faster then one usually might. The theme is a contrast of good guys against the bad, unfortunately good cannot always prevail in the way one would hope.

Part One: Social Prejudice;
Social Prejudice. Discrimination. Hate. These are all words one could use to describe the scene between Francis and Scout in part one. "If Uncle Atticus lets you run around with stray dogs, that's his own business, like Grandma says, so it ain't your fault. I guess it ain't your fault if Uncle Atticus is a nigger-lover besides, but I'm here to tell you it certainly does mortify the rest of the family-". Francis pushes Scout until she breaks. Scout was raised to believe blacks were just as equal as whites. Many folks in Maycomb think otherwise. Maycomb's older citizens believe blacks are a lower class, they share their views with their children. The children, easily influenced, believe the same thing. Atticus is different. Atticus believes in what's fair and just. There is not matter of skin color, people are people. Scout struggles with social prejudice, and right from wrong.

Part Two: Looking At Another's Perspective;
Many people just take the time to think about their own perspective on things. The World would be a much better place though if everyone actually took the time to think about a situation through not just their eyes, but others as well. "' It ain't honest but its mighty helpful to folks. Secretly, Miss. Finch, I'm not much of a drinker, but you see they could never, never understand that I live like I do because that's the way I want to live.' Scout and Dill don't understand that Mr. Raymond liked being with his African-American wife, he loved her. The reason he faked being drunk all the time is so that people had a reason to think they understood. In all reality, Mr. Raymond just wants to be left alone with his wife and children. Many people saw Mr. Raymond as a confused and sinful man, but once Dill and Scout took the time to see and talk to him, they realized he was just like Atticus in a way, he had a love for all people and skin color was not an issue.
August 17th, 2009 at 09:19pm