Ageism Affects Me.

And it affects you, too.

The teenage years: hormone-swayed, emotion-ridden, pimple-faced awkward stage between the cradle of childhood and the saddle of adulthood.

I don't know why other teenagers aren't angry about this stereotype. In fact, they succumb to it, by characteristically rebelling against their parents, or in some way behaving atypically.

The parent's reaction and rationalization to the public world is, "oh, she/he is just a teenager. You know how it goes."

NOTHING angers me more. Well, animal abuse does, but this is a close second or third. I say this is ageist.

Typically ageism refers to stereotypes and discrimination against the elderly, but I say young people like teenagers are subjected to it the most. After all, there are higher car insurance rates, and we are less likely to get a job. Yet, they judge you as an adult. Not as a child who is still developing mentally.

That is not to go without saying that I don't disagree with the fine laws and institutions, I feel that I shouldn't suffer this ageism because I am a responsible--I shouldn't have to pay for others' mistakes via car insurance, or sacrifice money because other young workers are flighty.

I could go on and on about this subject. But, I have to study to keep my GPA up. Rather then go to parties and get shit-faced and/or knocked-up, I want to be able to educate myself at a university. I want to get rid of this stigma that has plagued me since the day I turned 13.

So please, whoever comes upon this, call me a "young adult." Reserve "teenager" for those that accept this ageist stereotype.
August 18th, 2009 at 03:29am