Change

Change is inevitable, everyone knows this. But, is it wrong or irrational to be afraid of change, even if we know it's compulsory?

I ask this because I'm thirteen, and going into eighth grade in a private school. My school alone only has about 200 kids, if that. I'm not scared of eighth grade, but rather when I go into high school.

Every time I tell someone that I'm afraid of going into high school, they tell me that this fear is irrational, and that "nothing will change". Honestly, how can they say that? I'm going from a small, Catholic school to a public high school. Is it wrong to be afraid of a place filled with more people to judge you, more criticism to be thrown at you? And maybe I'm just insecure, and maybe I care too much about what people think of me, but is it wrong to be those things, if those things are part of who I am?

My older brother is quite popular at his high school-- the same one I will attend within a year's time-- and he tells me that I have nothing to worry about, and that I'll make tons of friends simply because he attends school there. Is it wrong that I don't want to have friends just because he's my brother? I don't want to be known as "that one kid's little sister", I want to be known as me, is that so wrong?

I just want to know if my fears really are aberrant, or if anyone has the same fears as me. I just want to know that being afraid of change isn't a bad thing, I guess.
August 25th, 2009 at 12:41am