Theorizing-Religion (Like It Or Not)

I like to think about things, on the pot, on the bus, in the shade. Wherever thinking is available, I do it to theorize. When the answer is not clear, I will make clear, to myself with whatever logical explanation I can come up with. That's how our religions came about and how hypothesis of yesterday and tomorrow are born.

Theorizing About Religion

Before the bell rang for lunch to end today I lingered with Natalie to go pick her boyfriend, Robert, from his class. Natalie told me something that her English or some teacher was discussing in class, about a man who sent a message to those he thought was sinning for being forgetful or another for not going to church. He told those people that they would go to hell if they did not believe.

In my head, I wondered if there had been no one to come up with any monotheistic religions, would we all still be pagans?

Robert says that there would always have been somebody to believe in the concept of one deity, however, to revamp the question;

Now, I wonder if we would still be pagans if no one ever, and no one will come up with the concept for monotheistic religions to exist. Would we still believe in more then one god or goddess?

Pagan beliefs are ages old compared to those of Judaism or Christianity, so when those religions came about, Pagan's felt the need to exterminate them. Soon, monotheism became the norm while Pagan's were executed for their beliefs.

Robert say that even if there had been no monotheistic religions, there would still be wars held with religion the problem.

I can understand that, wars have become some sort of a sport for humans in general over the decades. Either a way to show who's boss, a way to gain land to expand an empire, what have you. I'm not wondering that.

I'm just wondering.

What if there were no Monotheistic religions?

No one can hate me asking that question, though I am studying the path of Wicca, I just never share my theories with anyone but my close friend(s). Just because I'm studying Wicca, does not mean that my question is full of ignorance or that of a biased, unthoughtful-ness.

Another question that is probably off topic to coming up with theories and stuff like that is, what gave anyone the right, Pagan or not, to say that their religion is right?

At the time were Paganism was of the norm, believing in one god probably didn't cross anyone's mind, so they probably had the right to believe that their beliefs were correct. Now that we have advanced in many areas in life, we have no right to say that one religion is right while the others are filled of lies.

Maybe there is truth hidden in every religion and belief system in exist, because I don't understand the logic behind only one religion being correct when there are so many others out there to choose from. Wouldn't it make more sense if there was only one right religion, of only one was right?

Based on being an individual human being, and the way I process things and the way I sense with my five sense of the world, Wicca feels right to me. Wicca has found it's way in my life, whether it was mentioned by the lead singer of one of my favorite bands (Sully from Godsmack) or stumbling upon books or articles. Or, perhaps, meeting other people who follow the Wicca way of life.

I remember when a girl named Anna was giving me a Tarot card reading, and after words she told me that if I had any questions about Wicca to ask her. This amazed me, because we had not be previously talking about Wicca and I was at least the fifth person to have taken a reading from her that morning. Could she just tell that I was interested? Or did she happen to hear me talk about it before, discussing with my bestie Mariah how I had been interested in it before.

Back to Theorizing

I had stayed the night at Natalie's house a couple weeks ago, on a Saturday, and because she is still a minor she can't really choose not to go to church, so I went with her.

Now, I did want to go because I wanted to see what happened in a big Catholic church.

What I have noticed when it comes to Christianity and it's other divided forms have a lot of similarities in some Pagan traditions. There was a part at the end of the service were the Big Guy had filled what looked like gold goblets, for all I know they could be plastic, and filled them with something. There was also a gold bowl full of very thin bread. Everyone in the church (besides me of course) got in two lines down the middle aisle to take the pieces of bread and either drink the substance or pass.

The way the Big Guy prepared everything, singing a chant, and whatever, reminded me of a Pagan ritual.

Just think about it.

For me, spells and rituals is a Pagan's way of praying to the Moon Goddess and the Sun God (I have no idea if their capitalized), or whatever god or goddess they are honoring at the time. A potion or any other tool could be used to a gift to the Earth, or the god or goddess they are honoring.

I just don't pray like my mother or my great-grandmother's do. And I honor more then one deity.

So in a way, those religions are more alike but then different. A paradox so to speak.

Of course, there are different Pagan religions that do different things, sadly enough I wasn't able to get through the Everything Paganism Book (which helped me a lot) to read about Druidism and the others, otherwise my thoughts would be a bit more factual then they are.

What are your theories, thoughts, questions?

Please comment, the least you can do is discuss. Unless you argue then talk peacefully about religion, then I don't want to discuss with you.
August 25th, 2009 at 01:40am