'Prayers for Bobby' May Be an Emmy-Winning Film!

As my most favorite movie, the Lifetime docudrama, "Prayers for Bobby", has been nominated for two Emmy's, including Best Actress for Sijourney Weaver, whose potrayal of a righteous mother was outstanding.

The movie depicts the true life of Bobby Griffith, who in the late-seventies and early-eighties, became isolated from his parents for being a homosexual. After being tossed around, toyed with, and rejected from the very people he loved, he took his own life by jumping of an overpass, leaving his loved ones to grieve. However, Mary Griffith, his mother, makes a life-changing discovery that there was nothing wrong with being homosexual and becomes an advocate in LGBT Rights. To this day, she is working hard for the Civil Rights of those with different sexual orientations.

You are garunteed to cry over the movie more than five times, no doubt about it. Ryan Kelley, the actor who plays Bobby in the movie, captures his gentle nature perfectly and Sijourney Weaver embodies a homophobic parents anguish at having a homosexual son or daughter. This movie may be that step we need to get closer to acceptance among the gay community.

It's a truly inspirational film that is sure to be thought-provoking and motivate you to fight against all the bullshit in our society :)
August 27th, 2009 at 03:15am