Completely Soaked, Balancing Myself On A Folding Chair and Having The Time Of My Life (Angus Young Does A Lovely Strip Tease By The Way)

August 26 at the Commonwealth Stadium; the best concert ever. Well, at least that I’ve been to. It was utterly amazing, all of it was. The rain, the band, the show… you get my point. Plus, if it sucked I would bother writing a journal about it.

Anyway, it starting off with the ride there, in which we (My parents, my two brothers, Robby, and me)joined 12 other people on a so called ‘limo-bus’. Although it was more like a greyhound with slightly comfier seats and some questionable candies thrown into a cup holder.

The people on the bus were quite lively… considering how they were chugging down those beers prior to the concert. And yes, that was my parents included. Even with a not as fancy ride like many other people, we seemed to gain more looks and stares. The fact that some of them, or rather, most of them, were shouting out obscene things to passing cars and people. That of which included the comments toward some girl in a mini-skirt and a chick with devil horns and tight clothes (A sign that we were nearing the concert area). When they weren’t yelling at people outside the vehicle, they were singing to the AC/DC that blasted on the radio.

The ride to Commonwealth passed by quickly, and we finally arrived; with our plain looking bus parked in-between several fancy looking limos nonetheless. And unfortunately the first sight we happen to see was a guy taking a piss behind a tree. How discreet of him.

Inside the stadium there was already hoards of crowds with their AC/DC shirts and flashing devil horns. The six of us found our seats (floors seats, row ninety-something), although my somewhat tipsy mother was convinced we were in the wrong row, despite what the tickets said.

While one of my brothers and my parents left for t-shirts, there was my brother Josh, Robby and me left. Until about five guys came to sit in the seats beside us and decided to converse with me and Robby. The one dude seemed rather persistent in offering Robby half of his joint and drink.

Anyhow, at about the opening band came on within a half a hour of being there. They were an Irish band that goes by the name of The Answer, and you should check them out because they are actually pretty good. Even if they’re nothing compared AC/DC.

It rained part way through their set, almost giving us a fore warning for what was to come.

…and I think I should move on because this journal entry is getting a bit to long.

As the opening band finished, helicopters flew over the stadium, exciting the crowd. We all anticipated the main show all more now, standing there in our partially damp clothes.

Finally the main show started a bit after nine.

Lights were turned off, and the flashing red devil horns gained their moment of fame with thousands of them standing out against the dark. Upon the main screen was a short animated film of Angus Young and Brian Johnson on a train with some chicks who attempt to cause it to crash. And with that they started the show off with Rock ‘N Roll Train. The crowd went wild.

On the floor, everyone began to stand on the folding chairs, cheering on AC/DC. By the time the third song rolled around (Back In Black) people really got into it. They were head banging while nearly falling off their folding chairs.

Nothing could bring them down; the fans or the band. One of the two giant inflatable devil-horn hats that were on top on the stage was deflated and removed right away, with rain water pouring onto the stage crew. An hour into the show it really began to pour. People weren’t just a little wet. They were completely and utterly soaked. Even so, I didn’t see a single person leave the stadium. They stood there, in the rain, enjoying the show.

All six of us continued to stand on our chairs, no matter how much we were slipping and how many times we came close to falling off. Thunder and lighting came (although it was after they played Thunderstruck), but the band continued with their wet guitars and massive puddle on the stage. That of which the stage crew continuously tried to wipe off and keep somewhat dry.

The storm last up to forty minutes, leaving us soaked head to toe. I knew I looked like crap, but I felt like I was having the time of my life.

To make it all the better was the show, not just the music, that AC/DC put on. They did suitable acts for mostly every song. When they played The Jack, Angus had a little strip tease going on, and despite the fact that he’s 54 years old, the people loved it. He had stripped down to his shorts, and even pulled them down for a moment to, well, show off his AC/DC boxers.

Hells Bells had Brian swinging on the rope of a giant bell and when it came to Whole Lotta Rosie, there was a quite curvaceous and huge blow up doll placed on top of the train on stage.

Before we knew it the show was ending. Perhaps we were too caught up in that fifteen minute solo that Angus was playing. But of course, there was still an encore that consisted of two songs, Highway To Hell and For Those About To Rock.

At the actual end of the concert, there was a couple of fireworks and we were finally leaving, stepping into the large puddles that had been formed.

The ride back was much similar to the ride there with the exception of someone trying to bribe the driver with a Big Mac so he would stop by McDonald’s.

And a little excerpt from me and Robby’s conversation on the way back:

As I leaning against the window, hyped up but half asleep, he began to talk to me.

“You know what?”

“What?”

“Overall tonight, I’ve been offered drugs, alcohol, and candy by complete strangers.”

My response lacked quite a bit of intelligence, but hey, I was only half listening at the moment. “Mmm, candy…”

---

Man, what a way to end summer.
August 27th, 2009 at 11:15pm