VOLLEYBALL IS A SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(rant time)

I am so sick of hearing crap like, "Volleyball isn't hard," or, "Volleyball is such a wimpy/girls' sport."

Volleyball is a hard sport PEOPLE!

Accusation A: There is no running in volleyball.

WRONG! Yeah, we may not have to run a mile in a game, but we have to be able to run, and fast. If someone shanks(passes badly) a ball, another player has to save it.

B: You can't get hurt in volleyball!

Are you kidding? A hitter jumps up to block and hit almost every play. We can sprain/break our ankles, or fall and dislocate shoulders. Passers are always hitting the floor. If you look at a passer and they have no bruises on their body, then they are playing like shit. Passers can get concussions, dislocate HIPS and shoulders, can also sprain/break their ankles/wrists, and mess up knees. A setter is exposed to ALL of that.

C: You don't have to be in good shape to play volleyball.

Whoever says this is cracked. Try doing 50 lunges a day on each leg, 3 times a day! Our loegs have to be jacked for jumping and running and staying low. Hitter's arms have to be built up to get a barely decent hit.

D: It isn't that hard a game.

Really.. Try having to dig up a 6'2 middle hitter's spike when there is no block or help. Try diving 6 ft in front of you JUST to touch a ball. Try setting a ball of a bad pass. Try spiking with a 6ft player in front of you ready to block. We can't even catch or hold our ball!!

I know there is more but I don't feel like typing anymore. I'm so mad. Whoever tells me volleyball isn't a sport next is getting punched in the face. I work my ass off and I love this sport. It is my passion, and hopefully future career. I spend alot of time and money and effort just to get a LITTLE better. I have been playing since 5th grade, and no other sport can take its place.

So whoever thinks volleyball isn't a sport... Fuck off.
September 2nd, 2009 at 04:06am