Taste of Chaos March 8th 2008

The countdown is all over; today is finally here at last. From fifty-eight days to today. Wow, came a lot faster then I thought it would. Right now it's only morning, today has just begun. As the minutes pass I’m getting more and more pumped. Excited is an understatement, my blood is popping like pop rocks hitting a persons tongue. Tonight I’ll once again be in the audience of an Avenged Sevenfold show. Screaming, crying, and exploding on my feet.

I go over the past hour in my head as I’m walking from the parking garage to Cobo Arena. It officially began when my three friends called to tell me they were on their way. I screamed and jumped as I anxiously waited for them to pull up in the snowy, slushy street. Once inside I let loose my excitement. And now as the wind nips at my Deathbat hoodie I can't believe its only mere hours till the five men of Avenged Sevenfold pour their hearts out for us fans tonight.

We enter the lobby a little before four o'clock. We talk and joke around, I randomly jump and eek. We're close towards the entrance doors, maybe fifteen people in front of us. The tickets say doors open at five-thirty and so we expected to stand in line at least an hour. But that’s not what happened...

One of my friends gasp slightly and say 'Look, the doors are opening'. A scream escapes these lips and a dude in front of us jumps. "You scared me". Says the dude. I mouth 'oh' and look back at the doors. People inching their way in...That’ll be us shortly... "You ok?" He asks. I jump around and squeak, replying with a shrilled 'yes'. He laughs and nods and returns his attention towards the clear doors.

So I spend like two hundred bucks on Avenged merch in under fifteen minutes. I'm broke and really fucking happy. As we're looking for our tier row music hits my ears, live music. What? Someone is already performing?...

We walk up these little white stairs and-whoosh. An uneasy feeling takes over my stomach. I didn't think Tier B would be this high up. We sit down; we have a good view of the stage. I calm my nerves with the comfort of the thought that Avenged Sevenfold will be right there on that stage in a few hours.

Ok, so this band doesn't sound that bad, they have some good energy and the vocals don't suck.

"How’s it going Detroit? We're Infineight and we're from the Battle of the Bands! We want to thank Taste of Chaos for letting us play here tonight!"
I among many of the people who have their seats scream.
"Who’s excited to see Bullet For My Valentine?"
I 'woo' and clap.
"Atreyu?"
I 'woo' and clap.
"And what about Avenged Sevenfold?"
And so my onslaughts of loud screams begin. As the lead singer announces their next song I picture scenes from the last concert...

The first band on the Taste of Chaos bill to play is Dee'Spiray. Their set takes place on the bigger stage, not in the little corner where Infineight started this all. For a band whose music is in another language their not half bad. Great energy and they seem really happy to be here, which is always great. After a half an hour or so Dee'Spiray are through with their last song and leave the stage with a goodbye to the crowd.

The uneasy feeling creeps up again but I fight against it. Avenged Sevenfold is backstage, backstage of this stage, right here-tonight. Heights mean fucking nothing! So anyway the next bands roadies come out and start setting up in that little corner where Infineight started. By the looks of that I’m guessing the performances will go back and forth between sections. Saves time, because while one band wraps up the next stage is almost ready for the following band...the sooner everyone else is done performing the fucking sooner I’ll see M. Shadows along with Zacky V, Synyster G, Johnny Christ and Rev. But then again...the sooner they come out the sooner it'll all be over...

Idiot Pilot announces their selves and begin a song. I've heard about this band...music isn't terrible...
"Is that as loud as you guys can get? I thought we were in Detroit Rock City?!! Wow, smaller cities have you guys beat. Make some noise! We didn't drive all this fucking way for nothing!"
And that’s where I have a problem with this band. Their stage personas suck. Not only are seats still empty, but their music wasn't even that great to get all loud for. It's very disrespectful to us the audience. For the people who were in their seats, we booed them.

Idiot Pilot takes their leave, fans in the pit and in the stands booing loudly along with fans who were clapping. I myself did both...Staring blankly out onto the stage I watch as the roadies for the following band setup. Now I see the backdrop but it has no name, only a logo so I’m only guessing the next band. I know its one of the J-rock bands...but as I stare off something moves on the large screen and quickly dart my eyes over there. I think I hear myself as the first to scream. Right there! in front of this crowd are Zacky and Matt. Their talking to us only there’s no sound. And as much as that really sucks it’s not terrible because THERE THEY ARE! Backstage of this stage! I keep my eyes glued even as the screen turns back to a RockStar Taste of Chaos advertisement. The picture of Matt smiling and Zacky shirtless seeps deeper and deeper into my photo book mind. A sight I’ll keep forever. Oh, by looks of the shirtless Zacky it looks like he's getting a new tattoo; along his stomach.

Even though their image was gone from the screen I was crying. In a few hours they'll be there in front of all of us-hey me included! Last time they were so magical, I screamed along to every song and still had screams to scream when it came to telling everyone the next day.

With the memory of November 9th 2007 coming back and seeing the Matt and Zacky I hadn't noticed a lady wearing a Cobo jacket and a group of people behind her check my friend Matt's ticket. Ok so we had the wrong row...no big deal. We got to the seats on our ticket and woo! better seats! We're closer to the stage.

So I think this next band is Mucc. With no name on the backdrop and not speaking English it's kind of hard to know for sure. The lead singer jumps around a lot and even though it has nothing to do with the music, he dresses all baggie; gangster like. Hmm. Anyway as their performing I can only wonder who is next. The Underneath? Bless The Fall? I figure a smaller band then Atreyu, Bullet and last but certainly not fucking least A7X! But no, Mucc finish their set and roadies come on to the stage removing their equipment. People shuffle in a heartbeat on the stage getting ready for the next band, and according to the backdrop Bullet For My Valentine is up next.

***Pause***

Does this seem like it's going by too fast? It must be only around seven-thirty...Soon Bullet will be on stage then Atreyu, The Underneath and BlessTheFall then finally the band I’ve paid to see...I wish in a way it would slow down. You know? A7X will come on, rock the fuck out of it then everyone will leave and it'll all be over. Everyone will go home and retell the concert. Some fans might go to tomorrow’s show others like myself waiting for the day when they come back...Oh well let me continue with the show.

The lights go down and when the first note of 'Scream Aim Fire' comes out the lights jet back on. Bullet For My Valentine is up on stage-I can see how jet black Matt Tuck's hair is from here-I sing along loudly. I start to scream along slightly but remain firmly in my seat even though others around stand up for the very talented UK band. I don't intend on standing up till its Avenged Sevenfold up there and I hear their music.

'Scream Aim Fire' comes to a crashing end and Bullet plays off into their next song. A song that’s either off 'Scream Aim Fire' or 'The Poison' but I’m not sure, I haven't heard it before. After their second track Matt says hello to the roaring crowd in front of him and his boys-now I can tell their from the Wales. Can't really pick up on it when he's singing or screaming. 'Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow' and 'Four Words to Choke Upon)' were among their play list. The light show spread through the arena when 'Tears Don't Fall' was being performed. During that song my friends stood up but I stayed down, swaying eagerly in my seat and singing along with the striking song.
"And how are you all doing tonight?" Matt asks the audience, he's looking pretty damn good behind that microphone stand.
"Any Atreyu fans out there?"
He asks and fans get loud.
"Any Avenged Sevenfold fans out there?"
I among...countless mobs of fans scream.
"What about Bullet For My Valentine fans?"
I scream but not as loud, of course.
"Well this next song is for all you fans who've come to see us. It's called 'Hand of Blood. And I want to fucking see those metal horns in the air!"

So 'Hand of Blood' kicks in and I scream along all the parts I know. After that the guys introduce 'Eye of the Storm', a song I didn't catch the title of and 'Waking the Demon'. By the end of 'Eye of the Storm' and 'Waking the Demon' I knew the choruses to both songs. The Bullet guys leave the stage close to eight-thirty or eight-forty five. Fans scream encore, I scream along too two or three times then realize...that’s another song in front of the guys; so I shut my mouth. I really like Bullet For My Valentine and all but…they’re no Avenged Sevenfold.

Meanwhile the small corner was being prepared for The Underneath. Yet again a backdrop with no name...The last J-rock band of the night. They didn't suck but they weren't that great...then honestly I didn't pay much attention. Two more bands then the guys are up.

Like an intermission, the roadies for Atreyu come out and get things ready. Setting up backdrops, bringing out their equipment and testing their guitars. I tap my fingers slightly impatiently on the pile of merch that rests on my lap. Very, very soon I will be hearing tracks like 'Critical Acclaim', 'Bat Country' and 'Afterlife'.

The intermission last about half an hour then the lights go out in suspense. The music starts and there are the five members of Atreyu on the stage. I don't know the opening song...or the second song.
"How's it going Detroit? We are Atreyu and we’re happy to be here tonight. We want to thank all of you for coming out here tonight and we'd like to thank Taste of Chaos for having us on this tour."
Said lead singer Alex Varkatzas before breaking into their third track. And like the first two, I don't know this song either. Haven't listened to a lot of Atreyu. They are an ok band; I don't like them or hate them; just listen to them.

"We are really fucking happy to be here tonight! What about you guys?"
The fans cheer and scream, a mosh pit rumbling on the open floor area.
"We'd like you guys to help us for this next song. When the chorus kicks in I want everyone to jump up and down and do this"-he spins the index finger of both of his hands, their drummer does so as well- "Can you guys do that? Alright this song is called 'Falling Down'."

Finally a song I know. 'Falling Down' starts up and I sing along. When the chorus kicks in I decide to join my friend in the finger spinage. I glance around at fans and notice not many following. Oh well. When their seventh song kicks in I notice I know it. Yay! [At this time I hadn't known the title (Ex's and Oh's) just knew that I liked it]. I sing along to the few parts I know and clap when its over. 'Becoming the Bull' starts up and I shout every lyric I know to it, clapping as I do so. Atreyu's 'A' logo shoots around the arena in a white light, nice effect.
"We're very happy to be here tonight Detroit. You guys are amazing and thanks again for coming out here tonight. Paying to come see us and the rest of the Taste of Chaos bands. Without you guys we wouldn't be here tonight or any other night. This is out last song, ‘Lip Gloss And Black'. Now I want to see this whole area one fucking mosh pit!"

Until now I hadn't heard the song 'Lip Gloss And Black' but by the end of the song I caught onto 'Live Love Burn Die' and was chanting along with everyone else. Atreyu took their leave from the stage with people cheering in their seats. The lights come back on. One more band, just one more band then my face will be glittering with tears of bliss.

The roadies for BlessTheFall come out onto the stage, the small sectioned off corner and start setting up. In a half hours time the band is on stage performing their songs. Now I honestly don't know how many they performed...my mind being preoccupied with what’s to come. From what I heard they didn't sound bad. BlessTheFall exit the stage and ok...it's getting there! That feeling inside, any minute now the dam in my eyes is going to crack and by the end of this show there will be a flood.

The roadies of BlessTheFall take away their equipment and take down that little section of a stage. Now the stage is one big yard for the band of the night. With every minute that goes by it gets closer and closer to that light that comes on and Avenged Sevenfold are on that very stage, tonight.

Sitting still is no longer an option and a half hour or forty-five minutes from now I’m ready to jump to my feet and show everyone around who I’m supporting.

So people are talking amongst them selves, I glance from the large screen to the stage over and over again.
At some point someone shouts "Let's give it up to the roadies!" I scream at that and clap just like the people around but think to myself...Matt and Jason Berry and the rest of the crew aren't roadies-it's technicians.

The dam cracks and my voice hits my ears in a deafening scream when I see Zacky V on the large screen.
"What's up Detroit? I'm Zacky Vengeance. We've got Synyster Gates, Johnny Christ and The Rev (The camera follows a shirtless Zacky along the backstage room catching Syn, Johnny and Rev in view. All dressed and ready for a rock show.) We're ready to rock for you, all we're missing is my M. Shadows and he's in the shower. (Zacky says something inaudible to my ears)."
Syn adds "We got fifteen minute's left we better go get him."
It sound's like Jimmy who say's "What're you doing in there" as the camera follows Syn to a door. He opens it and an orgasmic, toweled M. Shadows is standing there. The screams only get higher and the tears just flush a little faster.
Matt walks out of the bathroom, closer to the camera and speaks. And smiles one of those dimple implying smiles.
"What's up Detroit? How ya' doing?" He laughs an adorable laugh that I can't help but scream over.
It then sounds like he say's "My band mates are ready. You guy's ready to rock out there tonight?"
Then in a louder, more graveled tone he say's again "Detroit, you ready to rock out there tonight?!" Theres an onslaught of screams come from every direction.
"Well let me get some pants on then." For five more seconds Matt is on the screen then it goes white. A black Deathbat sits in the middle with red clock numbers '15:00'.

Fifteen minutes?! That thing were a persons heart rate jumps abnormally, breaking out in shakes and fractured breathing; me at this moment. My eye's don't pull away from the screen as every second passes and it gets closer to fourteen minutes. Fourteen. Thirteen. Twelve. Eleven. The ten minute mark hits and I of course do that thing where a really loud, high pitched noise comes from my mouth. My friend's notice me not paying attention to anything around and try to get my attention. My one friend grabbing a hold of my chin with two fingers and trying to pull my gaze away. I'm too stubborn to follow and they laugh.

I can make out the Berry's every now and then on stage, I scream at the site of Zacky's gold signature guitar. Then at his custom red 6661. A piano? A piano is placed in the middle, front end of the stage. Wonder what song could be calling for a piano (as I sit here and write this it's all too clear).
"Hey did they use a piano in 'Seize The Day' when you seen them?" One of my friends ask, I pull my gaze from the stage and screen to look at him for a brief second.
"No." I say in a mixed voice. Curious, anxious and pumped. But with every second that goes by and it gets closer to that '0:00' I’m slightly sad. Knowing when they hit the stage it'll only feel like the length of 'I Won't See You Tonight'.

Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three.

Every pore, every blood cell is wired with energy. That feeling of the dam breaking is creeping up again and only thing bad about it breaking is there’s a good chance my make-up will smear. Two minutes.

The numbers pass the two minute mark; '1:59'. Soon as those lights go down I’m ready to jump to my feet...hope I don't get as dizzy as last time though...would suck if this time around I’d black out.

The clock freezes at '0:59', I stare off at it. Come on, come on move to 0:58 seconds. After what I think is a minute the clock starts to move. This is it. I get ready to put my merch in my seat, getting all positioned.

"Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four!! Three!! Two!!!"
"0:00"

The screen goes black and after a few seconds a video starts. The stage is hidden behind a black curtain but from these seats I can see the guys getting into their positions. A video comes on, the opening clip of the Uncle Sam Deathbat, different war like clips follow. Everything goes black, eyes glued to the stage.

"Critical Acclaim" starts up and I jump onto my feet. Colored lights come on and the curtain drops. Drops to reveal M. Shadows at the piano. He plays the beginning of 'Critical Acclaim' very beautiful before thrashing into his vocal part. Popping up an owning his part of the stage. Zacky is on the left, Syn on the right. Johnny is walking around and Rev is in perfect view behind his drums. Fog swarms around all five guys nearly waste up. The video on the large screen follows the opening video. I scream every fucking lyric undoubtedly, not taking my eyes off the stage. 'Critical Acclaim' ends in what I think is a record pace with flaming pyrotechnics, it's already going by too fast.

The lights come back on. Matt walks over to our side.
"You all ready to rock and roll Detroit? Yeah, yeah, yeah. It is cold outside, it is shitty outside but this is fucking god damn beautiful in here. So thank you all so much for coming. Wanna play something fast, hard, heavy. Let's play some shit for these kids, these kids beating the shit out of each other. This one here is called 'Second Heartbeat'."

A beating heart appears on the big screen when the lights go out, 'Second Heartbeat' took form into starting and the lights spotlighted on Syn for a second. After 'Second Heartbeat' a video of a girl with running make-up was running. Running in the woods from a psycho. She screamed and 'Scream' kicked into gear.

After ‘Scream’ the light's come back on and everyone (except Jimmy) walks around the stage, Matt asks Zacky where they were last night.
"So yesterday we played in Dayton, what was it Daytona?"
"Dayton." Zacky answers into his microphone as Matt steps onto an ego riser.
"Dayton, Ohio. We played in Dayton, (some fans appear to be booing...Matt says 'Whoa whoa whoa') the show was sold out and 1200 kids don't show up because of the snow. We play in Detroit and every motherfucker is here. That just means to me that there are some badass motherfuckers here in Detroit." He jumps off one ego riser to step onto another.
"Let's try a badass motherfucking song. This is called 'Beast And The Harlot' off of City Of Evil. Ready to rock Detroit!?"

The white lights turn red at the first note in 'Beast And The Harlot'. The video on the screen is an animated woman dancing. Very nice. Avenged Sevenfold's latest single 'Afterlife' is performed next. I sway side to side during (pretty much) the whole song. Screaming word after word to Matt and the guys.

"At last nights show..." Zacky begins saying into his microphone.
"Matt challenged this guy to a fight but he chickened out."
"This next song is 'Seize The Day', Zack start us off." Matt says walking around the stage.

And like the last concert the beginning was sung beautifully by Mr. Vengeance.
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost~
It's empty and cold without you here~
Too many people to ache over~"

My friend gave me his cell phone and the LCD light show complimented the feel of ‘Seize The Day’ and the guys who were responsible for it. I hold my arm up for the entire song, the phone only went off twice. I cried through it like last time, only hopefully this isn’t their last song.

“You guys like to party? How about we head to Vegas?” Matt says and ‘Bat Country’ starts up.

The video on the screen is the scroll when you pull the lever playing those vending jackpot games. Seven’s, cherry’s and token’s are the icons. There should have been a Deathbat, but it still looked sick.

“I’m not insane, I’m not insane.” Matt sings into his microphone, then points it to us and we scream it back to him.
“I’m not insane, I’m not, not insane.” He sings again and we repeat him. He chuckles one of those rawring, adorable chuckles.
“Help me out here guys. When I point to you, you tell me ‘I’m not insane, I’m not insane. Alright.”

The drums tap fiercely into the beginning of ‘Almost Easy’ and blazing flames party on the large screen. I scream every lyric, but make the chorus even louder. I notice I’m louder this time around. I have to be, Cobo is a bigger arena and the sound system is louder. ‘Almost Easy’ crashes into it’s finish.

“We love this country and this following song is for all those fighting for us across the sea.” Matt says then the lights go down.

The ‘breaking through portrait’ backdrop falls to the floor so the colored version of their ‘portrait Deathbats’ is seen. I feel an onslaught of tears soaking my bottom eyelids.

“Yeah, you’ve been alone~
I’ve been gone for far too long~
Cause with all that we’ve been through~
After all this time I’m coming home to you~
Never let it show~
The pain I’ve grown to know~
But with all these things we do~
After all this time I’m coming home to you~
I reach towards the sky~
I’ve said my goodbyes~
My hearts always with you~
I won’t question why so many have died~
My prayers have made it through, yeah
But with all these things we do~
After all this time I’m coming home to you. Yeahhh”

Then with an explosive pyrotechnic and a heavy beat down on the drums from Rev, the lights get a little sharper. ‘Gunslinger’ kicks it into second and I cry the whole time. There’s not one part in this song that I’m not raining from the eyes. A beautiful song that almost anyone can relate to, paired with a strong, personal felt performance. When ‘Gunslinger’ came to an end the tears didn’t stop to save their selves.

By this time in the concert I was shaking from happiness, excitement, fulfillment, and that unbelievable feeling that can’t believe I’m here.

Another old favorite is performed, ‘Unholy Confessions’. A feeling that this will all be over soon washes through me. An upside-down dark purple crucifix rotates in front of a foggy dark background on the large screen. I can’t believe I’m here again, not even four months to the date later. Another dream come true.

“Thank you for an amazing show Detroit! We’ll see you next time!” Matt says before the lights go out and he and the guys walk off stage. Not even thirty second’s of blackout and we’re screaming for an encore!

“Encore! Encore! Encore! Sevenfold! Sevenfold! Sevenfold!”
A minute passes by and the lights come on. People start leaving their seats but I’m not going anywhere. I continue to scream for an encore. Continue to scream while shaking and crying in hysterics.

The screen pops up a color and it turns out to be the guys! They’re in a hot tub joking around and drinking; having a good time. Someone (I think it’s Matt or Jason Berry) runs up and tells them:
“The kids are going crazy out there! They want you to do another song.”
At that I scream fucking loud! I’m thinking, please come back out! Please come back out! The guys discuss it and agree to play us an encore.
Matt gets out, Syn gets out, Zacky gets out and is followed by a butt naked Johnny Christ. (Insert wolf-whistle). Rev says something inaudible and the screen goes black and the lights go off.

I freak out for the countless time tonight. I can see the guys walk back on stage.

The familiar beginning of ‘A Little Piece Of Heaven’ starts up and on the large screen the animated video starts. The lights come on and the ‘Deathbat portrait’ backdrop falls like the one before it and the booklet picture for ‘A Little Piece Of Heaven’ and ‘Dear God’ is in view.

I keep my eyes on M. Shadows, dueling guitarist Zacky V. and Synyster G., Johnny C. as he plays around the stage wherever he pleases and The Reverend himself as he strikes the drums down with his speed of lightning drumsticks. I don’t glimpse much at the big screen since I don’t own the MVI yet and I refuse to watch ‘A Little Piece Of Heaven’ any other way. Towards the end of the song I pay close attention to hear Matt say my favorite part.

“’Cause I really always knew that my little crime~
Would be cold that’s why I got a heater for your thighs~
And I know, I know it’s not your time~
But bye, bye~”

The song ends with slamming pyrotechnics and confetti. The guy’s wave goodbye, Syn comes over to our side of the arena and blows kisses. And when they all disappear behind the black curtain I know it’s all over.

The lights come back on now and people leave their seats. I’m standing there dazed, staring out at the stage. Some passing fans looking my way but I don’t care to notice much. My friends give me five minutes to adjust that it’s all over. They carry my merch because I just got very dizzy. Even though the stairs start to look swerved I manage to make my way down them.

“So where do you think we’d meet the band?” One of my friends ask.
“Where did you say you met them last time?”
“Out front by their tour buses.”
“Hmm..we can ask someone if they’ll be doing autographs.” He says before walking off toward a Cobo official.
“Do you know if Avenged Sevenfold will be signing things?”
“Mmm, no I don’t you’ll have to ask him over there.” He points to a dude some odd feet away. We nod and follow my one friend towards him.
“Hey, excuse me. Do you know if Avenged Sevenfold will be signing any autographs?”
“No I don’t think so.”

My dad told me it wouldn’t be easy to find the parking garage where they parked.

“Ok thanx.”

So we start walking somewhere, I can’t be too sure where it was or why we were walking there. I know that it was the top level of the building. Their saying words but it sounds like its in another language. Every few minutes they look back to me, I’m guessing to make sure I’m still here. Well we turn back around and go back down all the steps we’ve just walked up. As we head to the exit to leave Cobo Arena a guy is walking around handing out free Rockstars. We each get one and continue towards one of the exits.

We’re walking and my feet stop moving. Is that who I think it is? I stand there staring at someone who I believe to be one of the Berry’s.
“Hey? You ok?” My friend is besides me trying to pull me along.
“I think that’s one of the Berry’s.” I mumble.

Staring at who I think is one of the Berry’s I don’t notice my friend looking around.

“Stay right here we’ve lost the other two.” I nod and continue to stare.

I move my feet towards the guy, he’s talking to two chicks.

“Excuse me are you Matt or Jason Berry?”
“Matt.” He says with a smile.
I let out this gasp.
“Can I shake your hand?” I ask in a little voice.
“Yeah.” He extends his hand and I shake it. Right now I’m feeling very awed and overwhelmed.
“Um can I hug you?” I ask again in that little voice.
“Yeah sure.” And so he leans forward and I hug him! I over hear the two chicks saying ‘awe’.
“Enjoy the show?” He asks as I take a step back.
“Yeah! It was indescribable!” I say slightly bouncing.
“That’s good and there’s more crazy stuff to come.”
“Byzz.” I say very happy not wanting to take up too much of his time.
He says bye as well with a nod.
“Who was that?” My friend asks as we join the guys (who had exited the building and couldn’t come back in). As we leave the arena I explain who Matt is.

I had this posted in my stories section, under oneshots but decided to move it to journals.
September 2nd, 2009 at 08:53pm