How can anyone live after losing a parent?

I had a dream last night. It was one of those really real dreams. The ones where you wake up and ask yourself, "Did that really happen, or was it just a dream?"

As today advanced I forgot the details of my dream, but I can clearly remember the emotions I felt in them...

In the dream, my mom had passed away. I don't remember how or why she did, but I remember the anguish and emptiness I felt when I realized that she was gone. Weeks seemed to pass but the pain remained the same. I couldn't stop crying, and it wasn't the kind of cry that felt good to let the tears flow: It was the kind of cry that just reminded you how much was really wrong.

I slowly awoke. Very slowly. I think my body was asleep for a few seconds while my mind was awake, because near the end of the dream right before I woke up I could hear someone gasping and sobbing. When I was fully awake I realized that I was the one gasping, and as the memory of my dream washed through me again, I started crying all over again.

Actually, I'm not sure if I was every fully conscious, because I don't remember falling asleep again or anything. I just remember waking up again later, and immediately calling my mom (I live mainly at my dad's). Of course, she was fine. I told her about my dream, and she responded by telling me that my stepdad had had a dream last night that she had died, too.

At first this really freaked me out. I texted my stepdad "Don't let my mom do anything dangerous."

And he responded by saying that God wouldn't let a kid having a dream about their parent dying and then let it happen. This comforted me, and I'm pretty sure nothing will happen to her.

And though the dream has passed, and I've forgotten most of it, I still remember the emotions. They were so strong.

And if this were to really happen to me at 15, losing my mom or dad, how could I continue to live? How could anyone continue to live life the same way they did when they had both parents?

I feel so sorry for people that have lost their parents at a young age. It isn't fair that parents should be taken away from their children before they're ready for it. We're supposed to have our parents with us at least until they can meet our grandchildren. Or at least, that's what I think. I couldn't withstand losing one of my parents while in highschool. And there would be nothing and no one that could comfort me if that ever did happen. I don't think time would heal me either.
September 3rd, 2009 at 10:43pm