shock

I get to work this morning a little late, I overslept but no big I've still got plenty of time before classes start, and the principal comes on the PA announcing an emergency faculty meeting for 7:30 am. WtF? That has, seriously, never happened before. At least not in the 4 and 1/2 years I've worked here. I don't generally go to faculty meetings because they're boring and I'm not technically "faculty" so I'm not absolutely required to attend. Mettings in general are such a waste of time when I could be actually, you know, doing real work. But when he announces it as mandatory and emergency for the third time in 10 minutes, I decide my curiosity is taking me there.

I'm not sure if I wish I hadn't gone.

One of our teachers was killed this morning.

She was riding her bike on the parkway. Someone hit her. They left her there.

What?

What??

WHAT???

That's all I can think right now? I feel like there's this piece of information sitting on top of my brain like a dollop of whipped cream on a piece of pie and it just won't sink in. I suppose it's shock because I pretty much feel numb. I came in to go back to work but my fingers keep fumbling keys and I have to think really hard about what the next step is in order to do tasks that I perform mindlessly every other morning. I called my husband, but what can he do? Nothing. Same as me. There's not a damned thing I can do.

Questions keep popping into my head -- How does something like this happen? Who does such a thing? I mean, who the fuck hits a bicyclist with their car and just fucking drives away? A drunk? Someone with warrants? An illegal? Did they get out and check to see if she was even alive before they left? Could they have saved her? I don't know. I may never know. It's just so fucking senseless. Like most of life, I guess.

I never write journal entries. I only have this account to read fanfic and comment on it. But something drew me here this morning. Like maybe if I could get this written down, it would move it around in my head some. I'm not sure if it worked or not. We'll see. I'm not sure if anyone will read this or not. I'm not sure if I want them to but, meh, I'm not particularly bothered either way.
September 9th, 2009 at 05:34pm