September 11th.

Woah. Where the hell did the last eight years go?

So, I was talking to my Dad recently about September 11th, and then some of my friends. As it goes, pretty much everyone can remember where they were/what they were doing when they found out what'd happened in New York.

My mum said that she'd been walking home from work, and there was a car parked on the side of the road with the door open, and she heard it on the news.
She can tell you the exact make and colour of the car.

My Dad was at work, and he can go into great detail about the scenery around him.

Me? I was at school when I heard. I was in year five, making me nine years old. A teacher came into the classroom and told my teacher at the time. She then tried to explain to us...obviously trying to make it sound not so bad as it was.
I remember going home, and I wanted to watch Mona the Vampire (anyone else used to watch that?) because it was always on when I got home from school. My mum was watching CNN, but she let me have the TV because she didn't want me to watch the news, she didn't want me to see what was going on.
As it goes, TV was cancelled that night in order to get the story on as many channels as possible. I was mad at it then, thought it was stupid. I just didn't understand, and I regret feeling that, because it was really important at the time. It's still important now!
That night I was too scared to sleep alone, so I slept in my mums bed, and she couldn't sleep, so she watched a movie on the TV. I remember, she thought I was asleep, but I remember exactly what was going on in the film. There was a woman walking around in a red silk dressing gown, when this man burst in through the window and attacked her. I remember so clearly a scene in the kitchen where he was strangling her against the side of the sink, so she grabbed a sink unblocker thing and stabbed him in the side of the neck with it.

Why do I remember that? It's so irrelevant, but so clear in my mind.

Then, two, maybe three nights ago I was watching something on the telly. I don't remember what it was called, but it was about the fourth targetted plane, and how it never reached it's planned destination. In the film the people on the plane were trying to fight back, take control of the plane. I only caught the last twenty minutes or so, but I think the thing that stuck out to me most was a scene with a girl, about my age, calling her mum.

I put myself in that position...How would I tell my mum that I was on a plane that'd been hijacked? What would I feel?

Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt. There's no way I could know.

Today I had my first A2 history lesson, and we're doing it on the Crusades. The Crusades that influenced terrorists to do what they did on 9/11, on 7/7, on all the other places and dates they've targetted.

In 1066, there was the Battle of Hastings, and I'm not going to go into detail about it, because I don't know much about it, but when it was over, the French knights had to crawl on their hands and knees to the churches and do other such things as a punishment from God. As an apology to him because they spilt Christian blood.

In 1095 (I think...remember, it was only my first lesson today) was the first Crusade. A Crusade where hundreds and thousands of Muslims and Jews were brutally murdered.

It was believed that God wouldn't be angry, that it was only Muslim, only Jewish blood that was spilt.

This is why I don't like religion in the slightest.

If someone follows a religion, it's cool, you do what you want, but it's when there's extremes like that. People thinking in terms of 'it's only Muslim blood, it doesn't matter' or taking so many innocent lives in a tragedy like 9/11.

It causes more trouble than it's worth, and I'm pretty sure that God or Allah or Buddah or whoever is praised as a god, if they're even there, are not proud of what people are doing in their name.

This journal wasn't meant to offend anyone, any religion, and if anyone thinks I didn't get my point across properly, like it sounds like I am offending someone, please, let me know so I can change it.
I never was very good with words, and what sounds right to me, may come across wrong.

Thank you for taking your time to read this - if you did. It was just...something that I've needed to get off my chest for a while.
September 11th, 2009 at 03:12pm