Abstinence

Yeah, I know all about abstininence. I even have a ring to say I won't have sex until I am married. I got the ring for my 13 birthday. Well at the time I didn't realize about all of the pressures of having sex.

I stopped wearig my ring about 6 or 8 months after I got the ring. I disapointed my family but honestly I didn't care. It was my decision and they couldn't do anything about it. Well, since then I have learned alot. It is really easy to get pregnant. You don't even have to have sex to get pregnant. That surprised me.

I had to take a health class last year and it just so happens that my health teacher was pregnant when she was 16. She had her baby and kept him and he know is a basketball player at a University in the US. I was kind of surprised because she was teaching abstinence but when she talked about when she ws pregnant she told us about how she hid her pregnancy for a long time and all that sort of thing.

That definetly confused me. It made me want sex. Honestly I don't know why but it did. I had a crush at the time and we talked about lots of different stuff and it excited me.

Then over the summer I went to a church camp for youth exiting the 8th grade. It was called Eighters for those of you wondering. Most of the kids call it sex camp though because we learned all about sex. Honestly I thought I knew everything there was to know about sex. Boy was I wrong.

I learned how God is with you in everything and that there are so many diseases you can get and all this other crap. I still didn't wear my ring.

Then my best friend texted me and told me he was getting a ring. I laughed and said "why would you do that? You are in highschool it is going to be a temptation and you aren't going to be able to help it."

His answer was the simplest thing in the world, but what he said hadn't even passed through my mind. He said "I don't want to be a father in highschool."

Those words made me stop and think. I will tell you what. I found God in a hurry. I now where my ring everyday. I don't wear it on my finger but I wear it as a necklace to symbolize that the promise is closer to my heart.
September 13th, 2009 at 04:33am