D.B. and Ez: Stuck in a Room

penadia: DB sort of reminds me of Ez, in the emotional sense.
it'd be funny if they got stuck in a room together. I wonder how that would end up...

I just couldn't resist!

"Mikey, I'm going to kill -- oh."
"Hello."
"Hey..." D.B. said slowly, trying to get a good look at the other boy without seeming like too big of a creep. "Sorry."
The blonde boy shrugged, remaining silent.

He was almost pointy, D.B. observed. His features were angular and strong, nearly feminine in the high cheekbones and slanted, almond eyes. His eyebrows naturally curved upwards a bit at the ends, giving him a permanently inquisitive look.

"Did you see a boy come through here? Tall, brown hair?"
"Yes."
D.B. paused, trying not to be distracted by the strange boy's hair (which was, he decided, somewhere in between peroxide blond and milky white). "Okay," he said, nodding like and idiot. "And?"
"And what?"
"What happened?"
"He ran in through that door, screamed when he saw me, said Oh, I thought you were D.B. then ran out that other door over there." The boy leaned back in his chair, moving the heel of his shoe against the ground as if he were itching to take it off. "He stuck his head back through the door and said I was never here and then took off down the hall."
"That little -"
"You're D.B., then, I assume?"
"Wha... Yeah. Yeah, that's me."
"Your friend was very afraid."
"Yeah, well he better be. He waxed my leg."

Ez watched as the boy with lots of brown-ish hair lifted up his pants leg to reveal a bright pink patch of shiny, hairless skin on his shin. There was a certain appealing lankiness to him, as if he'd started off well-proportioned, but grew a little too much, a little too fast. He had round, dark eyes that sort of cut beams through the air. Ez wasn't quite sure how to feel about this D.B., wether he was particularly aggressive or if he was just a typical teenage boy, buzzing with extra energy.

"He... waxed your leg?" Ez asked carefully. "Forgive me, but how?"
"I don't know! He just did!" D.B. shouted, throwing his hands in the air. "We were walking and he just bent down, lifted up the leg of my pants and bam!"
"Bam?"
"Bam!" D.B. repeated darkly. "And then he started laughing like an idiot and ran into this place... Where am I?"
Ez shrugged. "Hospital. Waiting room."
"I... Woah. Seriously?"
"Mhm."
"I didn't even notice. Huh. That's why it smells like really clean babies."

D.B. moved toward the door that his friend had ran out of. He seemed to have calmed down, having learned where he was and readjusted accordingly.

"Well, it was nice meeting you..." he paused for a length of time, waiting for Ez to say something. "Uh, what was your name?"
"None of your business!" Ez answered immediately, then snapped his mouth shut and shook his head. "I mean, uh, Ez. Ez Sullivan."
"Oh, okay," D.B. said.

That was weird.

"Well, like I was saying, it was nice meeting you, Ez. But I've got to go find Mikey and pull out his eyelashes or something."
"That door is locked."
"Y'what?" D.B. answered dryly, his face falling.
"Your friend locked it so you couldn't follow him."
D.B. took a deep, steadying breath. "Typical," he muttered. "Typical."

He tried the door handle, just in case, but true to Ez's word, it held fast. He was still breathing heavily, having run the entire length of the hospital and then up three flights of stairs while screaming, Prepare to die, prepare to die!

D.B. sat down gratefully in a chair across from Ez and sighed. He finally got a good look around the room. It was a jungle theme, with plastic cut-outs of trees and monkeys and toucans everywhere.

"Is this a pediatrician?" D.B. asked.
Ez nodded. "My girlfriend and son are in there."
"Son?" D.B. asked. "Man, you're young, though. How old are you?"
Ez grinned wryly and resisted the urge to respond with I don't know exactly, time where I come from is a bit faster than time here and scratched as his chin instead. "Twenty."
"You sure?" D.B. asked. "Man, you look young."
"Elf blood," Ez replied, shrugging.
D.B. laughed. "Good one."

There was a slightly awkward silence in which Ez glared blankly at D.B, as if trying to size him up. D.B. shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"What?" he demanded moodily.
Ez turned away, stubbornly silent.

D.B., feeling that the conversation had effectively ended, was just about to get up to leave when he heard a door open from across the room. He turned to the noise (the door was painted to look like a jungle path and had a sign that said Dr. Cruz tacked to it) and saw a child with brilliantly blond hair race out, his arm in a red cast.

"Dad, dad!" the boy cried, running toward Ez with a face-shattering smile on his face. "I broke it! For sure, they said! I definitely broke it!"
"Congratulations," Ez laughed.
"Don't encourage him," a female voice sounded from the counter, where she was being handed a bunch of release forms. "I'm signing out Ezekiel Sullivan Jr.? Oh, okay."

"In half, dad."
"Alright, alright."
"I broke my arm off!"
"Sure you did."

As Ez reached out to scrub his son's head, the boy's ears poked out through his crop of tousled hair. D.B. realized, with a start, that they were pointed. They were immediately hidden from view as Ez's honey-haired girlfriend reached down to fix his hair to properly cover them.

"Rose, he said he broke it in half."
"Hmm. It was fractured in two places. He'll be fine in six weeks."
"He'll be fine when he stops believing he's inherited superhuman powers."
"Ma, I'm hungry!"
"We're going, Zeke."
"Dad!"
"Yes!"
"I'm hungry!"
Ez laughed. "Okay, okay, we're going."

D.B. got up and idly wandered toward the door. Maybe he'd wait by the bathrooms. Mikey had a Big Gulp earlier...
September 13th, 2009 at 05:08am