9/14/2085

Ares keeps telling me that writing a log of our trip will be beneficial to future generations, but I just never seemd to get around to it.

Today is my fifteenth birthday. That means that twenty-two years have gone by since my parents left Earth.

Earth. It is like a myth to me. Sometimes I go to the storage unit and plug in the old m-ray device to watch old "movies." That is what Ares calls them. We have created some digital recordings here on Mars, but we haven't made anything like what I've seen in the storage unit. These "movies" show a world of violence, sexuality, and sometimes laughter. Sure, we laugh here from time to time, but it seems that everything is under tight restriction. Uncalculated actions are not condoned. Every activity has its POA (plan of operation). We can't be too careful here on Mars.

But back to my birthday. I'm close to being a man now...at least it feels that way. I can't even count how many hours I've spent studying the tiniest aspects of Martian life. The colony has moved across the surface of Mars countless times - avoiding meteor showers, savage winters, sandstorms, and more.

We've finally settled back where we started, so I hear. Evidentally, this cave in which we have created a habitat in was the first choice for the colony before I was born. Unfortunately, the lack of sunlight was unfavorable. This began the great migration...that ended back at its start. Humans just can't survive easily on the upper layers of Mar's surface. Sure, we can visit it from time to time, but we cannot live there permanently.

So here we sit in a hole in the ground, doing what we can to make this the best place on Mars.

Maybe we'll get there someday.
September 14th, 2009 at 08:31pm