9/15/2085

I got cut short on that first data entry. It was my birthday after all, though.

So, I guess that the future generations would want to know what life is like right now on Mars. We have a small estabishment in a cave called Dena near the Arsa Mons volcano. The volcano is not active. They say it hasn't been active for thousands of years, so we don't worry about it very much. It is quite enormous, though, and takes up much of our view. The cave is deep, but sunlight reaches the bottom of it. This is better than the first cave my parents tried to settle in...it had so little light that several of the first colonists died from lack of exposure to solar radiation. I guess the human body needs sunlight to produce certain life-giving chemicals or something. We've got that figured out by now, though.

The cave is in the northern hemisphere of Mars, so we have less extreme weather and easier access to the Northern Ice Cap.

Our establishment is getting better each year. We can communicate with Earth in about three minutes, but it takes over a year and a half for any supplies to reach us. We are beginning to build more perminenant shelters that can withstand the lack of gravity. It's better than living in the spaceships all of the time. We are getting a handle on growing plants (inside, of course) and finding ways to use the materials found on Mars.

Oh, I gotta go...time for dinner.

~Rom
September 15th, 2009 at 08:38pm