My creative writing teacher made my day [Quick question included]

This year for one of my electives I’m taking Creative Writing. We have different units for everything we do and we just finished the second unit. In each unit we do six assignments, two classwork, two homework, and two notebook assignments. We have four days to do those and on the fifth day of the unit we present the assignment that we think we did the best on.

For this unit we were working on incorporating the senses into writing. I’m not that good at it but I liked the last homework assignment we had to do. It was write a piece that involves a woman handing you a bag, saying “Here you go”, and walking away before you can say anything. We could basically do anything with it except for have anything dead or alive in the bag, I think she put that dead babies weren’t allowed to be in there.

I liked my bag story so I typed it up and decided to read it. I don’t like talking in front of people, I get nervous and it was hot out so I thought I would end up just falling over and pass out. After I read it I sat down and my teacher, who was sitting at the desk next to me, said that she wanted to speak with me after class. I automatically figured that I did something wrong or she was going to tell me to be louder when I speak or something like that. So I was really nervous as everyone else finished up their presentations.

When everyone was done there were about five minutes left in the class period so my teacher came over and the first words out of my mouth were, “Did I do something wrong?”

She said no and then she said, “Sometimes when people speak I get a feeling about them and when you were speaking at the podium I could see you speaking in front of a crowd at a book signing.” (That’s basically what she said, it was a few hours ago but that’s it in a nutshell). So when she said that I started smiling and I was all giddy because I really want to be an author, I’m working on writing a novel at the moment and I hope to finish it by the end of the school year.

I really hope she’s right and one day I’ll be reading at a book signing. Just her saying that made my day. I’m really surprised she said it to me, though, because I’m not good at speaking in front of people and my story wasn’t that good compared to some of the other stories. I’m just really happy that she did say it, though, because even if she was just saying it gave me a…kind of confidence boost? I think I’m going to write more of the book tonight.

In other news, my birthday was last Saturday (September nineteenth). I had my sweet sixteen and it was a lot of fun. It was Halloween themed so everyone was in costume and we decorated the house. For my next journal I’ll post some pictures.

My next journal will most likely be pictures of my bookcases again because Monday I’ll most likely being going to Barnes and Noble with a lot of gift cards. I have three lists of books so this should be fun! So there will be pictures of my bookcases, maybe one or two of my desk to show all of you how neat it is, and I don’t know what else. Are there any really good books out that I should read?
September 24th, 2009 at 11:02pm