This really had me thinking...

So I was reading a short story in English today. It was the story of this somewhat barbaric king. Whenever someone was convicted of a crime, they would go in an arena, and there would be two doors. Behind one door was a ferocious, hungry Tiger. It would eat the man and tear him to shreds and everyone would watch. The other door held a fair maiden, if he were to open that door they would get married that instant, a Priest and a choir would come out of another door and marry them then and there whether of not he was already married or anything.

There was this man, he was the Princess's lover. The Princess was the King's daughter, and he soon found out they were having an affair, so he arranged for the man's "Trial" the very next day.

The next day, the man was in the arena, staring at the two doors, wondering which one to open. He looked up to the Princess, she was the only one who knew what was behind each door. She knew the Tiger was between one door, and a fair maiden behind the other.

But it wasn't just a maiden. It was girl who the Princess hated very much, she'd see her talking with her Lover, probably about petty things, but probably not. She constantly stared at her lover, lust in her eyes.

The man could tell that the Princess knew, so he gave her a look, a look that screamed, "Which?"

The Princess raised a finger and pointed to the right, no one else could see this but her.

She knew that it would come to this. She had spent hours wondering that if he would ask, what would she do? Would she rather see the glorious look of relief and jubilation on his face if he'd open the door to the lady? Or would she rather see him torn to pieces by a hungry Tiger.

And that's where it ended. "So who did he choose; the lady, or the tiger?"

I've been thinking about this all day. I have no answer. I've been wondering and thinking, 'What would I do?"

I have no idea. And this somewhat disturbs me. I mean, I've been thinking an awful lot lately, and I've found out that I know NOTHING about myself. I mean, I know my hobbies and what I enjoy and stuff, but I don't know what I want.

You know in the beginning of the year all the teachers make you fill out forms and they ask you stupid questions about yourself? One of my teachers asked me, "Tell me something about yourself."

I had no idea what to write. The same thing happened when I was writing an essay about self-discovery and I had nothing to connect it to for myself. Because I couldn't do that, I got half credit.

All these simple, easy questions, I have no answer. And it really just realized that I don't know myself with this story.

It wasn't answer of, 'What did she do?" it was, 'What would I do?"

I don't know.

And PS, I didn't re-read this. Sorry for any mistakes.
September 26th, 2009 at 04:23am