What A Catch, Donnie...

So I just saw Fall Out Boy's video for What A Catch, Donnie. I love it, it's amazing, but seeing all the props from their previous singles washing ashore, I got a little sad. The old Fall Out Boy is gone. The video...well, it's basically saying "goodbye to everything we used to be, say hello to what we are now, cause you'll never see the old us again" It's kind of depressing for those of us who fell head over heels for TTTYG, or Evening Out With Your Girlfriend, or even the ones who just wandered in by accident during FUCT or IOH.

I remember the first time I heard Moving Pictures and Roxanne, with their squeaky, awkward, out of pitch voices and makeshift lyrics. I remember listening to Chicago Is So Two Years Ago and listening to it on repete for years. I remember the awkward boys from the sugar we're going down video. Hell, I remember seeing them at the Honda Civic Tour and crying my eyes out because they were real.

And then I remember Thanks For The Memories blaring on the radio. Every girl swooning over Pete Wentz non stop. I remember how Patrick and Andy and Joe got muddled into the background while Pete basked in the lime light. But I stuck around, thinking that Fall Out Boy would live up to what they had always said they'd be. I remember how I and a few friends shunned Pete for a while. I remember our theory that Joe's afro would cause the next ice age. I remember how everyone called them a sell out, and I still listened to them. I knew they'd come around, and it'd be just like it used to be. Close and intimate with their fans.

But they changed.
Everyone grows up, and the old Fall Out Boy will never die. Their music is documented, their lyrics scratched into every diehard's brain. Their new music, it's meaningfull too...it's just different. But even if they're not the same boys we remember, they always will be Fall Out Boy. And the few of us who've been there from day one will love them, changed or not.

I believe in Fall Out Boy. They're going to continue to be great.

And as they say, believers never die.
September 30th, 2009 at 05:56am