City vs Country From The Eyes Of A Music Junkie

I'm a city girl, born and raised. Personally, a country town is anything but what I want to live in. No offense to those of you who love how it is in your little farming towns, I was just raised in Brookyln, and I love the sights, sounds, and hustle and bustle of the city. Lets put it this way, I've spent one year out of my life in the country town I'm in right now, and I can't even begin to express how bored I am with it.

In New York, we moved around alot, sure, but it was still the same New York. There was concerts at Madison Square Garden, packing in 30,000 people. Then there were the smaller venues where the bands that were close to their fans would play. For instance, when I lived in Long Island, there was a venue, literally around the block from my house that would pack 900 kids for an average show. Some of the shows I saw there were Powerspace, Cobra Starship, Cute Is What We Aim For, and more. I'd give up anything to live their again.

Now, I live in a little town who's only venue is literally a club who rarely has any good bands. Not to mention if any do come, it's pretty much just the locals that no one wants to see. Occasionally, we'll get a few good acts, over the summer and spring break, but it's nothing most of us want to see. The music scene is starting to pick up, but not by much. We're forced to travel out of town for at least five hours if we want to see any remotely good bands.

I used to see anywhere between 1 and 5 shows a month, even if they were just local five dollar shows. The bands were accessible, and didn't think they were better than everyone. The acts here tend to be that way. I had to wait an entire year, to the day to see a show down here. I managed to go to warped tour, which I thought would suffice, seeing as I managed to see ten bands in one day, but of course, I was wrong. Post-Warped depression hit alot harder than I thought it would, largely in part to the fact that I wasn't going to be seeing another show for a LONG LONG time.

And the five hour drive up to Atlanta? That was a fucking killer.

So if you're in a band, or you've got any fucking talent and you live in a bodunk town PLEASE do us kids a favor and play a show. Fucking plug in an amp and stand on the street corner. Do something, we can hardcore dance anywhere, a frew cuts and bruises get us by.

I'd say save the scene, but there's nothing to save. So here I leave you with;

MAKE A SCENE FOR US TO SAVE.
October 5th, 2009 at 04:54am